New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Munich Extract: Weyermann vs Blends?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
sd_tom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Munich Extract: Weyermann vs Blends?

Thinking about getting a doppelbock going to put on my oktoberfest yeast cake and the recipe I've looked at so far (Jamils) is 10.4lb Munich extract, 3lb Pilsner extract. Normally I do a partial mash to get munich incorporated, but isn't going to cut it this time.

So, high gravity brews.com has the weyermann's for $45 for 8.8lb, which would work nicely with PMing the rest of the munich, so I can do that. But, on the doppelbock BN podcast, he suggests this is a good one to play around with the blends that are out there.

I've liked the maris otter extract from williams brewing, and noticing their german gold is 50/50 pils, munich... which seems to be the highest ratio that is readily available... so.. thoughts?

Right now I'm thinking about total malt bill being (less OG than original, but that's fine):
8 lbs of the williams German Gold LME
2 lbs Munich (PM)
2 lbs CaraMunich (PM)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
sd_tom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well, ordered the German Gold from williams. Figured, if I like it then i'll never know what I was missing with the real stuff.. and if I don't, can try it next time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply