Moldy Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flamechicken

Reaction score
Hello all,

I joined the forums in order to post this :tank:; I think this vanilla bourbon stout may have gone off while resting in the secondary.

What are your thoughts? Does this beer look like it is recoverable? :drunk:

Thanks for any insight!

Looks like yeast to me. Taste it (in a sanitary way)! It is probably fine, and definitely won't hurt you.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have had several beers develop small tiny bubbles that appear to look like white rafts if not viewed closely. I say that because it is very common. Another thing that I think from a beginners perspective is that oxidation while racking is a common problem many face as an off flavor that they have troubleshooting. Taste your beer during the process to help troubleshoot, being careful to ensure constant sanitation. I say that strictly from making my own mistakes.

Looks like yeast to me too. Even on the sides it looks like the carboy is ribbed internally too and just caught yeast as it fell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I just bottled a stout yesterday that was in secondary for almost 4 weeks and developed that same whitish sediment on the ribs around the fermenter. Mine was clear on the surface. When I sampled it while bottling it tasted just fine. Pretty sure the sediment was just yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks all for the replies, you've given me the confidence I needed to try this beer! Hopefully it tastes like vanilla bourbon deliciousness,.....:tank::drunk::mug::ban:

Latest posts

Back