LME vs. DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
I am concocting my first recipe on my own, I am going to enter it into a Homebrewing contest. Since I am doing extract only, I want to get the best product I can possibly get.

Currently I am using a 3 gal pot, steeping, then using 6lb of LME and 1 of DME. I'm somewhat happy with my brews but they seem to have that twang. I am going to get a bigger kettle this week and increase the amount of my boil. Probably a 5 gal kettle and 4 gal boil.

What are your opinions on using LME and DME. As stated above, I've been using both and am somewhat happy with them, but I want the best quality I can get.

I will be making an IPA with some honey added at either flameout, primary, or secondary, which ever more experienced brewers think is best.

I personally prefer DME, particularly if the LME isn't really fresh. You'd use less DME for this recipe, though DME is pricier.

DME gravity is roughly 8 points higher than the equivalent LME, and you can usually use less DME in a batch, it does not scorch as easily, and left overs are easier to store then LME. But, I am a fan of both, DME for lighter beers, LME for darker. I guess it's a matter of preference. Fresh LME is usually twang-free, but not always. Experiment and see what happens.

Have you been using the late extract addition method? might help with the twang

Are you also using some specialty grains to steep? It adds so much to a beer- something simple like some crystal malt can bring a great depth to an extract-only beer.

I like DME, because I always seemed to get extract-y tasting beers with LME. The only time I used LME was when I needed a specialty item- like liquid pilsner extract that isn't available in DME.

One thing that helped me was bottling with DME instead of dextrose or sucrose sugar.

As far as LME vs DME, people tell me DME helped but I never proved it. +1 to what Yooper said about specialy grain.

In my APA I used Caramel Crystal and Munich and I am waiting on the beer to age.

With this recipe I am planning on using since by the rules they are encouraging you not to use Specialty malts due to problems buying them in bulk. (If you win, they reproduce your beer and sell it in the local area.

I am planning on using

.77 lb Vienna
.25 lb Belgian biscuit

If you buy your LME fresh then it is just personal preference on which one you like mixing into the beer better. I preferred LME when I was doing extract because the DME always used to gum up on me and cause a mess. I knew my extract was very fresh though because I only ordered one or two recipes at a time and it came from AHS where the turnover is huge and he can't keep LME long enough to let it go bad.

Having said that though, I never really cared how light my beer was. If I was trying to do an ultra light colored ale then I would probably have done late addition DME.

I think that DmE has improved my beer, but hard to say for certain, because I also changed some other things to help improve my beer. I did not find it hard to add DME, I just whisk as I pour it in.

I like that I can keep extra on-hand and it stores better IMO.

I prefer DME because:

- It lasts longer, so it's reasonable to buy in bulk.

- You can use just part of a package, then reseal and store the rest, unlike LME which will oxidize if you keep half used containers around.

- Lighter color. You can always add specialty grains to darken as needed, but you can't do anything to lighten up a too-dark LME brew.

- (subjective) I think it has a better taste, although I've never done a scientific side-by-side to prove that.

- I find it easier to use. Tip the package into the pot, in goes all the extract, unlike LME which sticks everywhere and you always end up wasting some portion that you just can't get out of the jar.

- I've had less scorching problems with DME, as it tends to float when first added, where LME instantly sinks to the bottom of the kettle and proceeds to burn.

It is not a Sam Adams Contest, it is a local homebrew contest held by a brewery called

The Highland Cup hosted by Highland Brewing.

Back