Leftover DME help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birtsbrew21

Reaction score
Hello i have leftover Muntons Light DME (1 pound) and Briess golden light DME(1 pound), anybdy have a recipe that these can be used in together?? I know im gonna need to get more supplies but anything will help.

The possibilities are pretty much endless for light beers. I'd save them for use for making a yeast starter or if you need to carb your bottles and don't have any corn sugar on hand.

birtsbrew21 said:
Is there any recipe that I could include these in to make some type of IPA?

You could use either or both of those in just about any IPA or APA.

Together they would give you a 1.018 OG in 5 gallons, or 1.045 in 2 gallons. Not really enough to make a decent brew.

For an IPA/APA, you would need more extract, some crystal, and lots of hops.

You could try some variation on Graff (apple juice + extract).

Im a newb but I want to do like a 5 gallon batch and i know I'm gonna have to get more stuff but could anyone give me a decent IPA extract recipe with one or both of these dme's?.. im open to any interpretations.

birtsbrew21 said:
Im a newb but I want to do like a 5 gallon batch and i know I'm gonna have to get more stuff but could anyone give me a decent IPA extract recipe with one or both of these dme's?.. im open to any interpretations.

Go to Northern Brewers website and look at their extract ale recipes. You can narrow it down to just see the IPA's if you want. They post detailed instructions/recipes for almost all of their kits. You can find one you like and just order the ingredients you need to add to the 2lbs of DME you already have.

Or.....you could send them to me, I can always use some extra DME :^)
seriously tho, I have made a few small batches using leftover ingrediants. You have to be careful tho, small batches and their ratios can get tricky, and with a smaller batch the wort can scorch or burn easier. good luck.

I found a recipe that im going to integrate these into .. be just need to get some more dme, specialty grains and some hops and I should be brewing by the end of the week. Hopefully have a decent IPA in two months.

Since you have to buy ingredients anyway, just use that extra DME for starters until it runs out.

please correct me if i'm wrong, but i think part of the OP's question related to his belief that one can only use Muntons Light DME in a recipe that specifically calls for Muntons Light DME, and Briess golden light DME also needs to be used only when called for by name.

*if* i am correct, I would suggest that you not worry about the brand names - you have a pound of light and a pound of golden light. hell, the two aren't that different - i'd consider that i have 2 pounds of light DME on hand and look for recipes that call for that. so if a recipe calls for 7 pounds of light DME, buy 5 more and you're set. and those 5 more can be of yet a third brand.

for most applications, light DME is light DME. don't worry about the brand name.

Latest posts

Back