IPA recipe- 1st try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlpred55

Reaction score
Here is my first crack at an IPA recipe will be brewing Thursday. I am obviously shooting for grapefruity, citrusy goodness. I also want a little bit of malt backbone but not too much to overpower the hop-errific intentions. I don't want too much residual sweetness either. Would love for the color to be a more reddish but not sure I am accomplishing this with the below listed grains.

7.00 lbs Extra Light DME using late addition method
1.00 lbs Crystal 60L
.50 Carapils

Hops- Simcoe 12.3 AAU and Amarillo 8.6 AAU
60min 1oz Simcoe
20 min 1 oz Simcoe
20 min .5 oz Amarillo
10 min 1 oz Amarillo
10 min .5 oz Simcoe
Dry Hop 1 oz Simcoe
Dry Hop 1 oz Amarillo

Yeast- Is open right now. Thinking US-05, 1056, 1272 or 1187. Would another yeast give me more malty taste or would I be screwing the style all to hell?

I am pretty set on the hop schedule unless there is something completely out of line with it.

Open to comments.

My boil volume is 3.5 gallons. That is all I can fit, my other kettle is currently out of order as a result of a horrible accident.

I don't really use WYeast a lot, but I LOVE WLP051, Cal Ale V. It is similar to the Chico strain (001, 1056, US-05) but leaves a maltier profile and slightly higher gravity. It is my go to yeast for Pales and IPAs. Hop schedule looks good, I like a little Munich or aromatic malts in my IPA, but it looks great as is.

Would love for the color to be a more reddish but not sure I am accomplishing this with the below listed grains.

Add some roasted barley if you want more red - 2 to 4 oz. should do it. But I calculated this recipe at 12 SRM, so you are clearly in amber territory as is.

7.00 lbs Extra Light DME using late addition method
1.00 lbs Crystal 60L
.50 Carapils

Hops- Simcoe 12.3 AAU and Amarillo 8.6 AAU
60min 1oz Simcoe
20 min 1 oz Simcoe
20 min .5 oz Amarillo
10 min 1 oz Amarillo
10 min .5 oz Simcoe
Dry Hop 1 oz Simcoe
Dry Hop 1 oz Amarillo

Looks like a great hop schedule to me.

Yeast- Is open right now. Thinking US-05, 1056, 1272 or 1187. Would another yeast give me more malty taste or would I be screwing the style all to hell?

I like 1272 for pale ales, but US-05 and 1056 are fine as well. I have no experience with 1187.

I went with this recipe but dropped the Crystal to 1 lbs of 20L. Chose US-05 for the yeast. I chose not to try to get it more reddish this time. I will also be adding more dry hops since I have about .5 oz left over from each Simcoe and Amarillo. So the dry hop will be 1.5oz of each. Everything else is the same. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the help

I was going to do something similar.. What do you guys think about using 1lb or Cara-Red instead of Crystal? Aren't they both carmelized malts?

word of caution: i just brewed an ipa with about 2 more oz of hops than you're using. i thought i adjusted my volume to account for all the hop crap, but still ended up with about a gallon of hop sediment settling in the fermenter. be sure to adjust your batch size.

good luck. sounds tasty! :mug:

No it was a 3.5 gallon boil and then I ended up adjusting to 5.5 gal total in the fermenter to hit my starting gravity spot on.

Can't I just rack through it when I transfer to my bottling bucket? I usually put a fine mesh hop bag on the tip of my auto siphon and have never had much issue with the hop crap causing me to leave a lot of beer behind. I haven't used this much hops before and I didn't pour very much into the fermenter as it was all left behind in the break material. The dry hop could be another story, but I can usually filter those out with the hop bag.

I was going to do something similar.. What do you guys think about using 1lb or Cara-Red instead of Crystal? Aren't they both carmelized malts?

They are similar - the CaraRed is not quite as sweet as Briess crystal 20L to my taste buds. I have used about 20 pounds of CaraRed in various beers over the last couple of years and I prefer it to crystal.

They are similar - the CaraRed is not quite as sweet as Briess crystal 20L to my taste buds. I have used about 20 pounds of CaraRed in various beers over the last couple of years and I prefer it to crystal.

Thanks for the insight..
I tried to do just a basic Pale yesterday.. nothing too hoppy.

4.0 gal boil
7lbs extra light DME
1lbs Cara-Red
.5lbs toasted Maris Otter
1.5oz Centennial 60min
1.oz Cascade aroma

Safale US-05 yeast
How's it sound to you guys?

So- I took the first gravity reading on this beer yesterday and it is already a point lower than my anticipated final gravity. Tastes good and very clean, no fruityness or anything like that. It is at 1.016 down from 1.066 in 6 days. US-05 is a beast when fermented at 70. I really don't want it to dry out more than it is and am hoping it stays there- all visable signs of fermentation are over and there is NO krausen left on the beer and very little if any off gassing of CO2. I plan on taking another reading tonight and see if anything changes, if not I am going to dry hop.

Back