I need a recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
Hey everyone......my girlfriend is requesting that I brew up a blueberry flavored beer. Ive done a little searching and didnt come up with much. I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe I can brew up....either an extract or a PM .

Hook me up guys!

On a side note....I just brewed up my stout and am waiting for it to cool 2 degs so I can pitch the yeast....got a good buzz goin to from some Bells HopSplat....its 11% and VERY hoppy!

Blue Devil Brew

6 2/3 LB Amber LME
1/2 LB Crystal 20L
1/2 LB Malted Wheat

1 1/2 OZ Cascade (Bittering)-15min in
1/2 OZ Cascade (Aroma)-Last 5min
1 OZ Tettnanger (Dry Hop)

7 LB Blueberries (steep at 150 with enough H20 to cover the berries for 20 min....put in secondary and rack the beer on top of it)

1 pkg British Ale Yeast

3/4 Cup Corn Sugar (priming)

Never made it....it's in my book though. It doesn't say to do a tetriary but I bet it would be a good idea

Hope that helps...I've got another called Berry Garcia that uses 8 LB of assorted berries....haven't made it but sounds good

Take it easy and tell me how it goes if you make it

If you have a wheat beer you like to make, the easiest thing to do is make it and add blueberry extract at bottling time. If you do that and still think you need more blueberry flavor, you can make the same thing again and add blueberries to the secondary also. I did this with cranberries and turned out great.
Cheers, :rockin:

I havent done much with wheat beer yet. I found an American wheat beer kit on Northern Brewer.com I think I may buy, and then add blueberries to secondary.

What is the best process for adding the fruit? just dump frozen berries in there? thaw and mash them? Any advice from someone who has done this?

Get the fruit the day you plan on starting the brew. Put them in a zip top bag, try to get most of the air out, and throw them in the freezer. The night before you are going to rack to the secondary put the bag in the fridge to thaw. Use your hands, a rolling pin, etc., to crush the berries, in the bag of course, blueberry juice will stain. Pour the contents into the carboy and rack your beer. Keep in there for about a week or so. Wheat beers don't get super clear so a week should be enough. Bottle as you usually do and enjoy.
Cheers :tank:

Back