Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > How do you add fruit to a batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 04:33 AM   #1
revrand65
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How do you add fruit to a batch?

i'm thinking of trying to add blueberries or possibly rasberries to a wheat beer.how do i go about this...thanks to anyone who answers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2006, 06:37 AM   #2
veggiess
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrand65
i'm thinking of trying to add blueberries or possibly rasberries to a wheat beer.how do i go about this...thanks to anyone who answers.

Canned fruit puree

http://www.thebrewshopokc.com/oregonfruit.htm

Don't boil; can be added to primary or secondary.

Primary:
Secondary: Newcastle Clone
Bottled: Chocolate Caramel Cappuccino Porter, Vanilla Cream Ale, American Wheat
Party pigs: Hex Nut Brown Ale
Up Next:

Old 09-07-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Papazian says that if you use frozen berries, add them after the boil when the wort has cooled to about 180 degrees. I *think* you leave them there for fifteen minutes or so. Don't quote me on any of this, because I don't have the book with me, and I also used entirely too much raspberry in my last batch.

Edit: I completely forgot - I left my raspberries in there through primary. Duh! Entirely too much raspberry flavor, though.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
BeerLuvnGrl
Recipes 

i used oregon puree..added it to the secondary racked on top.. ive also used extract..less work same great taste..

Old 09-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
vcr5150
Recipes 

I too have used the "lazy man's" way & added the raspberry flavoring to the secondary. It was very good, and almost too easy.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Perhaps it's different with berries, but I made a mango-peach wit recently, where I added peaches to the unfiltered wort at the end of the boil. I strained them a few days later (since I didn't filter after the boil, there were still coriander seeds and orange peel in there, which imparts odd tannic aspects), then, for the final 10 or so days of the secondary, I steeped with more fresh peach slices, and also fresh mango slices. No sanitizing of the fruit, and so far, the beer is impeccable, save for some overcarbonation.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #7
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

check out this thread, tons of info, not too long back:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...ruit+secondary

Old 09-08-2006, 02:32 AM   #8
Jetsers
Recipes 

What I do.
take berries and put in mesh bag as if they were your steeping grains.
Put in boil water and pull out once it hits a boil. Now keep those berries, and put them into a tupperware type container that is clean and steril. Place that container in the freezer.

Finish making yoru wert, and primary.
When it comes time to rack to secondary, thaw out the frozzen berries, ( best to jsut keep the tupperware sealed and let thaw that way.) then place your grain bag with thawed berries into secondary (makes for easy clean up)

Tada when you go to bottle or keg, no mess, pull out mesh bag toss berries and yoru set.

Quick Reply