Home grown Cascade Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenndand

Reaction score
I usually brew Pale Ale from my own recipe and add 2 ounces of cascade hops at end of boil. I have a relative that grows cascade hops, and he gave me some fresh hops this past October. He told me to pick the buds and immediately freeze. When I brewed my pale ale beer using these hops, the taste had a slightly spicy aftertaste. Not a bad taste, but not what I'm used to. I'm not sure if it is due to the hops being different, grown on east coast, or that I did not dry out the hops.
Anyone have any knowledge or ideas?
Thanks,

There are a lot of factors that could change the flavor. His hops might not actually be Cascade, they could have been cross pollinated or the conditions in which they were grown/soil composition could be different than the ones you are accustomed to.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if the fact that they were "wet Hops" had anything to do with the taste.

I've read tgat using wet hops or frozen wet hops can lead to some funky flavors. I dry my Cascades on a window screen for a few days, then freeze with good results. Also, you need approx. 4 to 5 times the weight of pellets with fresh hops to get equivalent flavor. Good luck! :mug:

Back