Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Great Lakes Christmas Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default Great Lakes Christmas Ale

Hello all. I am getting ready to start brewing for the Holidays and I was wanting to do something along the lines of Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I threw this recipe together and any feedback/critiques would be greatly appreciated before I throw an order together.

CHRISTMAS ALE RECIPE:

RECIPE SPECS:
--------------------------------------------------
BATCH SIZE: 5.50 GAL.
BOIL SIZE: 6.75 GAL.
ESTIMATED OG: 1.075
ESTIMATED FG: 1.018
ESTIMATED IBU: 29.4
BOIL TIME: 60 MIN.

INGREDIENTS:
--------------------------------------------------
9 LBS. 3 OZ. PALE LIQUID MALT EXTRACT
1 LBS. WHEAT LIQUID MALT EXTRACT
14 OZ. CARAMEL/CRYSTAL MALT 40L GRAIN
3 OZ. CARAMEL/CRYSTAL MALT 60L GRAIN
1 OZ. ROASTED BARLEY

1.5 OZ. HALLERTAU (4.3%) HOPS PELLETS (60 MIN.)
1.5 OZ. CASCADE (5.0%) HOPS PELLETS (10 MIN.)
0.5 OZ. CASCADE (5.0%) HOPS PELLETS (7 MIN.)
0.5 OZ. CASCADE (5.0%) HOPS PELLETS (5 MIN.)

1.25 OZ GINGER ROOT (SKINNED AND CUBED) (5 MIN. AND INTO PRIMARY)
3 CINNAMON STICKS (5 MIN. AND INTO PRIMARY)
1.5 LBS. HONEY (FLAME OUT)

YEAST - WYEAST 1028

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
MMJfan
Recipes 

Well, I did what some others have done and I emailed my recipe to Great Lakes and I did indeed get a response.

Some of the changes they reccomended were as follows:

They said my gravity was a little high compared to theirs. They recommended 1.068 so this isn't really a concern for me.

They also said there are only 3 hops additions with the first two additions being Hallertau and then the thrid addition of cascade. I then asked if the amounts of 1.5 oz of Hallertau for the first 2 additions and an oz of Cascade for the 3rd addition would be doable and they said it might be a little hop heavy but to go ahead and give it a try which I plan to do.

Lastly, they said they use equal amounts of ginger and cinnamon which should be right around an oz for each for my size boil and that they keep in in the boil during the entire boil and then remove it.

They said other than those changes, everything else looked pretty close. I think I'm going to gather up ingredients to brew this as soon as I have a bucket that becomes available which should be early next week!

Old 08-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
dhathazy
Recipes 

Default Great Lakes Christmas Ale

MMJFan,

Good luck, I love that stuff! Keep us posted how it turns out. I am not all that far from you, I'll drive out and have one haha! I'm going to do my first pumpkin ale tomorrow so a little nervous!

Dave

Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
wwilson
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

MMJFan,
I tried this last year and plan on it again this year. I actually brewed for about 30 minutes the cini stix and ginger (cut into thin slices) into a tea and put that into the primary 30 minutes into the boil. I felt that this gave me less to worry about during ferment and gave it a cleaner taste in regards to those strong flavors, and an added bonus of a wonderful aroma at brew time. That last is for my wife who hates the smell of the house when I brew.
Another thing, I also did the three hop entry. 2 ounces of Hallertau 5 minutes into the boil then do 1.5 ounce cascade 30 minutes in, and then the .5 remaining at 10. Everything else was the same as you list out.

Good Luck!
Wayne

Old 08-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
MMJfan
Recipes 

Thanks for the recommendation wilson. I was going to cut my Hallertau additions to 1 oz for each of the first two additions. I might also go with 1.5 oz of Cascade at 10 min and then the remaining .5 oz at 5 min.

I like the idea of making a tea but I think I'm just going to put the ginger and cini stix in a muslin sack for the whole 60 minutes like the guy from GL suggested.

dhathazy, I'm a big fan of GL xmas ale too. Just not a fan of the $12.99/6 pack price tag. I plan on saving around $140 brewing my own this year! BTW, I went to college near your neck of the woods at Westminster in New Wilmington, PA! I had some friends that went to Moon HS! Good luck with your pumpkin ale! What type of pumpking ale are you making? I brewed the Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale 3 weeks ago and will be bottling on Monday and I can't freaking wait to see how it turns out! Cheers!

Old 09-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
MMJfan
Recipes 

Brewed my recipe for this yesterday and it had an AMAZING smell during the boil! Ended up going with 1 oz Hallertau at 60 and then 1 oz Hallertau at 30. And then went with .75 oz Cascade at 10 and another .75 oz of Cascade at 5. Other than that, I pretty much followed my recipe above. Ended up with a OG of about 1.079. Put a blow off tube on this one as it was already bubbling in the airlock within an hour of adding the yeast!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
dhathazy
Recipes 

MMJfan, I made AHS Pumkin Ale. I used two 29 oz cans of pumkin in the boil and when I transfered to secondary I had close to a gallon of pumkin sludge in the primary. The secondary now has almost two inches of sediment so I don't think I'm even going to get 4 gallons out of this batch. Anyway I tasted a sample and it was pretty goood but not enough spice is coming through. Thinking about throwing a cinnamon stick or two in the secondary like a dry hop and then some vanilla extract before I bottle. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I fish a few times a year down the road from Westminster in Volant. Watch out for the buggies! I didn't go to Moon HS but have lived here for about 12 years. I'm an old guy, graduated back in 1978 haha! Maybe we can get together and exchange a pumpkin ale!

Old 09-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
MMJfan
Recipes 

I too had about a gallon of sludge when I transferred to secondary but that was it. Not really much sediment when I racked to the bottling bucket and I was able to get about 5 gallons total.

Racking my xmas ale to the carbon tonight to make room for my first BIAB which is hopefully going to be a clone of Great Lakes Holy Moses.

An I know Volant well. All the city folk would infest that town to get a taste of Amish living...

Old 09-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I love gl xmas ale. I plan on brewing my own inspired version this month

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - hoppy red ale
Primary 2 -
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Sumpin Close IPA, Citra IPA

Old 09-17-2012, 02:08 AM   #10
slystarnes
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
Racking my xmas ale to the carbon tonight to make room for my first BIAB which is hopefully going to be a clone of Great Lakes Holy Moses.
How long do you plan on letting this one sit in the secondary, and then bottle conditioning? I followed your recipe pretty close. I hope it tastes even half as good are the real thing!

Quick Reply