First Timer - First Beer Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archaeofreak

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Justin and my GF bought me a True Brew Kit a week ago. I bought a True Brew Porter Kit and started on 6/17/2011. I think I might have a stuck fermentation. Can anyone suggest what I should do?

Here is my recipe:

True Brew All Malt Porter
Expected Beginning Gravity = 1.043-1.045
Expected Final Gravity = 1.012-1.014
Hop Bittering Units 5.5

Ingredients:
Unhopped Dark Malt Extract - 1 can
Dark Dried Malt Exctract - 2 LBS
Malto-Dextrin - 8 oz
Chocolate Grain Malt - 6 oz
Hop Pellets - 1 oz
Ale Yeast - 1 Pack
Priming Sugar - 5 oz

According to the instructions, I should have had fermentation begin within 24 hrs, and continue for 48-72 hrs. I then should settle for 3-4 days after airlock activity stops and then bottle.

The adjusted OG was est. 1.052, slightly above the expected. I had airlock activity for the first 24 hrs, but during the second day, bubbling slowed to once every 15-20 sec. Have had no activity since 6/19/2011 (late during second day) and just took AFG at 1.025.

Is my fermentation stuck? I assume I have to take readings for the next several days to see if it changes or not. What do I do if there is no change in readings?

When I pitched the yeast, I added the dry yeast packet to half a cup of warm water (<90F) to make sure it was not dead, and it foamed. I then pitched into top of bucket and stirred a couple of times before putting lid on.

Do I need to get more yeast? Should I aerate the beer (have read to stir and NOT to stir for fear of oxidization)....HELP!

Thanks...

Relax,it's only been a couple of days. It'll take longer than they say to get down to FG,then let the yeast clean up after the party for a week & settle out good before priming & bottling. It usually takes longer than instructions say. No way will it go from primary to bottle in one week.
And 90F water is def on the high side to pitch the yeast in to rehydrate. I usually get water/starters down to 70F before pitching yeast in it.
So relax,it's no where near done yet...

Its about 72 to 74F. I started the yeast at <90F to test, but the wort in the primary fermenter was around 78F...also I have a glass carboy for secondary. When should I move it?

Thanks!

With a 1.052OG,it should get down to 1.012 or so. Unless you're adding fruit or oak,etc,I wouldn't bother with a secondary.

Its about 72 to 74F. I started the yeast at <90F to test, but the wort in the primary fermenter was around 78F...also I have a glass carboy for secondary. When should I move it?

Thanks!

That's border line to hot. But after this many days you can't do much about it.
Next brew get a big rubber maid tub, set your frementer in the tub w/some water, manybe 1/2 way up the fermenter. Then place 1/2 gal bottles of ice in the tub to chil the water.

YOu need a hydrometer to test for FG. That's the only way to tell when fermentation is done.

Wait at least 2-3 weeks before you think about bottles. FG should be the same for 2 days in a row, then you know it's done. I wait 3 weeks before bottling.

Then 3 more weeks at 70* to condition and carbonate. Then 2-3 days at drinking temp.

It's gonna be hard for you to wait all that time on your FIRST brew. Enjoy!!

You know, I would skip the secondary fermenter for your first brew. Let it sit in there for a couple weeks, then bottle. You won't hurt your beer by leaving it in the primary for a couple weeks, and keeping it simple will make thing easier on ya.

Keep in mind that just because there may not be bubbles in your airlock, doesn't mean there isn't any activity in your beer. Don't feel rushed to do anything with your beer for a few weeks, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

I hope you're not fermenting at 78F; that's awfully warm.

TB

Back