first attempt at brewing with extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryank

Reaction score
So I've been an all grain brewer since my first batch, but my brew space has been unavailable. I've got an itch to brew and think I have the equipment to pull it off. So here is my recipe, I was going to try something kind of hoppy like an apa.

1# Cara malt
4Oz 120l
steep for 30 minutes @ 160° in 4 gal water.

6# briess traditional dark dme (I accidentally got this thinking it was light)
1# extra light dme

Commence boil (I know about adding extract at the end but an concerned with boil over)

60 min .5 Oz Columbus 13.9%
20 min .5 Oz cascade 6.2%
10 min .5 Oz Simcoe 12.2%
0 min .5 cascade
0 min .5 Simcoe

Ice bath then transfer to carboy, top off with one gallon cold water. cover carboy with sanitized tin foil and wait to get down to pitching temp (this is the step i'm most concerned with as I can't use my immersion chiller)

Pitch some good ol 05 at it and let primary.

I have an Oz of chinook leaf that I was considering using as a dry hop, but i'm not too sure on that since I've never used them before. Might have some centennial laying around or just omit dry hop all together.

Anyways, I was just looking for some feedback/critique from some people that are familiar with these types of things.

Thanks

Just curious, Cara what? There's lots of caras. If it's cara pils that's way too much. Probably too much if it's cara foam. Maybe too much cara aroma. If it's cara munich it will have a lot of caramally flavor in my experience, but your dark ME might go well with it.

It's going to be dark, but still within style (brewsmith says 13.3 SRM). I'd put in half the Dark DME and then add the light and the rest of the dark at flameout. I'd dry hop it with something, hop aroma does any pale ale good imho.

I wouldn't worry about the slow chill, I had to do my first 2 batches that way when I started and had no issues. The key is to just keep the kettle moving while it's in the ice bath (or keep the ice bath moving around the kettle) and stir the wort to keep the heat even inside the kettle.

It is briess Cara malt, I picked it up awhile ago just to try it. I'm guessing it's similar to Carapils

Back