Extract Kit Bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thoughts exactly. Also, I would not be surprised if a fermentable compound was used to hold them together. Not super glue, I'm not a complete idiot :).

Well Mr. "not a complete idiot"....since you are posting on this forum, I assume that you have some form of internet connection. I was able to use this same internet connection tool to quickly search on the mystical googles and found this answer within 15 seconds.

"First, grab a 200-pound bale of hops from the giant walk-in refrigerator and take it over to the shredder. From there, a complex automated process begins:

The shredded hops make their way over to a screening system that pulls out most of the seeds and other stray materials that make their way into a bale. Then it’s on to the hammer mill, which grinds the shredded hops into dust and releases their oils.

The dust gets sucked up a duct and down a cyclone where it mixes with the pulverized hops, and the mixture falls into a bin. An elevator takes the mixture up to a pellet mill, which presses the mixture through a die to form small pellets.

Because the pellet die creates a lot of heat that could affect the hop flavor, the pellets are quickly dropped into a cooler. Another elevator takes them up into a bin."

So there you go...no glue...no "fermentable compounds".....just heat and pressure.

I am perfectly capable of using the internet. However, as you may know there are a lot of different opinions. It just so happens that I trust the opinions within these forums more than some from other sources. I also enjoy these forums because of how people treat each other and because they are helpful. The tone of your answers takes away from that. It's not really helpful or necessary on here. If you can't answer in a positive way, please don't respond at all, as there are plenty of others on here who are happy to do so in a polite way.

Hey bro chill out....that's my point. If you really want good answers, sometimes forums aren't the best place to look.....FIRST.....ya know what I'm saying. There are peer reviewed and trustworthy sources all over the place out there...case and point....this thread...and my 15 second search that yielded the answer in the form of an article "PUBLISHED"...hint hint....in the Oregon Daily Journal of Commerce. It's fine if you want to have general chit chat about things, but if you are seriously trying to figure out questions like "does dry hopping add bitterness", then perhaps the forum...along with other sources of a more "PUBLISHED' nature...like the complete joy of homebrewing....might be a better fix. This is a not a troll attempt...but I have seen waaaayyy too many threads go haywire from some amateur throwing out their opinion on these forums instead of just telling to OP to spend 5 seconds and look up these simple questions on their own. It seems some people on this forum have the impression that dry hopping can increase IBU's....are these really the people you want giving you legitimate answers. If you don't like my tone...maybe its bc I care and I'm actually trying to help you. It like my parents used to tell me....if you don't know an answer....LOOK IT UP.

If you're going to report a post to be handled by the mods, don't then begin an argument regarding that very same post. Get back on topic. Now. And leave the attacks out of it.

Hey bro chill out....that's my point. If you really want good answers, sometimes forums aren't the best place to look.....FIRST.....ya know what I'm saying. There are peer reviewed and trustworthy sources all over the place out there...case and point....this thread...and my 15 second search that yielded the answer in the form of an article "PUBLISHED"...hint hint....in the Oregon Daily Journal of Commerce. It's fine if you want to have general chit chat about things, but if you are seriously trying to figure out questions like "does dry hopping add bitterness", then perhaps the forum...along with other sources of a more "PUBLISHED' nature...like the complete joy of homebrewing....might be a better fix. This is a not a troll attempt...but I have seen waaaayyy too many threads go haywire from some amateur throwing out their opinion on these forums instead of just telling to OP to spend 5 seconds and look up these simple questions on their own. It seems some people on this forum have the impression that dry hopping can increase IBU's....are these really the people you want giving you legitimate answers. If you don't like my tone...maybe its bc I care and I'm actually trying to help you. It like my parents used to tell me....if you don't know an answer....LOOK IT UP.

Sorry man. I didn't mean to get offended. I know you are very likely more experienced than me given that I have only done a few extract kits. Typically, the reason I would ask such a question is to see if anybody has "inside" information or if anybody has found things out through experience...you know...stuff that you don't find in books. Right now this is just a side project for me until I am able to make it into something more. I just use the forums to find fast answers to things while I'm working on other stuff (like putting myself through school). I am sure it's frustrating to read a bunch of new brewer posts on here when you can simply search and find the answer. Sorry if it was a waste of your time!

Hopefully I can figure out a way to get that 'extract beer kit' taste out of my beer. I'm going to start trying to improve my basics. Yeast starter, brew temps, fast cooling, sanitation, etc....

arringtonbp said:
Typically, the reason I would ask such a question is to see if anybody has "inside" information or if anybody has found things out through experience...you know...stuff that you don't find in books. Right now this is just a side project for me until I am able to make it into something more. I just use the forums to find fast answers to things while I'm working on other stuff (like putting myself through school)....

Right on man! Keep asking questions, you'll find that these forums are a great way to learn both fact and opinion about Many brewing techniques and styles. There is a lot of passion in brewing and some people are very proud of their techniques. Stay open to suggestions though and keep practicing and eventually you'll be writing your own books! Haha

Right on man! Keep asking questions, you'll find that these forums are a great way to learn both fact and opinion about Many brewing techniques and styles. There is a lot of passion in brewing and some people are very proud of their techniques. Stay open to suggestions though and keep practicing and eventually you'll be writing your own books! Haha

Thanks! I agree about the brewing styles. I have found that there's a lot of personal liberty in how you set up/go through with everything. There's some great information in books I'm sure, but it's that personal experience thing I'm after!

That's why this is such a great foeum. The lastest info,experiences, techniques...you get the idea. Also,the siumlcast on ustream is going now from the link at the top of the forum. Drawing's at 4pm,but some of us are chatting on there now. Don't miss it!

Back