Extract Full Boil: High OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemaster

Reaction score
Brewed the second batch today; 5 gallons of Porter. I was able to do a full boil between two pots for 60 minutes. The target OG was 1.063-1.067. I have an OG of 1.075. Could this be a result of the full boil and the "boil off" percentage that would have been smaller with a partial boil?

Now the disclaimer: I did a full boil but due to boil off I did have to add about 1/2 a gallon of water. The wort was well mixed and the hydrometer sample was not taken from the surface; I plunged a turkey baster deep into the wort to draw my sample.

Here's the recipe:

Steeped for 30 minutes
  • 4 oz Black Patent
  • 4 oz Chocolate
  • 8 oz Caramel 120
60 minute boil
  • 3.3# Light LME
  • 6# Dark LME
  • 2oz Tettnang
2 minute boil
  • 1oz Williamette

Any ideas how I was so far off the target OG?

I would imagine you didn't get things mixed well enough. It happens with extract.

That's been my experience too- when I was still using extracts- I never even bothered with gravity readings- but I was getting Lower readings- I'd bet that the recipe's stated OG is about what your really dealing with- unless your way under in volume- which you did state that you corrected for.

It just seems odd that a 1/2 gallon of water could be adjusting the OG that much. Either way I'm not worried, because if it wasn't mixed properly it will turn out as planned and if it was, the end result will have a slightly higher ABV. No problem by me. :rockin:

Thanks. I need to RDWHAHB, but the darn things need to hurry up and finish fermenting! :D

Make sure you adjust for temperature and make sure your hydro is calibrated by checking pure water. It also wouldn't take a whole lot less than five gallons to throw your reading off .008.

Back