Electric Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mose

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the forum and have been extract brewing for a couple years now.

I'm looking to cross to electric with internal kettle elements but am concerned about the extract syrup and the heating element. What about a false bottom to help prevent direct contact?

Not ready to move to all grain yet but want to over build here and learn a few things with the intention of expanding.

I'm thinking of doing it in a cooler since I've seen plastic brew kettles, convert a keg, or another cheap turkey fryer pot. I'll plan to place a PID to control the temp right where I want it for the specialty grains before the extract. Not to mention the ability to brew inside during bad weather.

Any thoughts, will I burn the extract. Thanks

I think it would be just fine as long as the element is off when adding the extract. Turn the element back on after the extract is well mixed. Not sure about the false bottom though.

And give partial mash a shot. It's really not much harder than extract, can be done on the stove with little or no new equipment and you'll like the results it gives you. Plus, it's early training for moving to AG someday.

Thanks guys. I'm looking pretty hard at the Brutus 20e systems guys have been building. Maybe I'll try out some of those techniques on a MT for partial mash and learn from there.

Back