Dog Fish Head 60m IPA bubbling away!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikolas_WestMI

Reaction score
just finished a Dog Fish Head 60m IPA. Sitting in the carboy. Got a SG (after top off water) of 1.052.

Recipe for a partial mash said 1.057. I'm close so I am pretty happy. Got the Recipe from a mag in my LHBS.

Tastes great! Not too bitter but the hops kick ya in the face!

I was scared trying the every 10 min hop schedule but all went well!

:mug::mug::mug::mug::mug:

nothing more just wanted to be happy!! :tank: Now time for a cold brew and the couch cause my broken back is hurting!! :rockin:

View attachment 60min IPA.bsmx

Could you post the recipe up. I am looking at making my own take on one. I have no mash tun so iam extract brewing. The hops kicking you in the face sounds like my kind of beer. Im working with a 30ltr plastic fermenter not a bucket.

I used a recipe that believe was here on hbt... I added a few pellets every minute the whole 60 minutes. Evenly dispersed. I dry hopped Sunday... Pretty stoked.

Wicked sounds good. Did you use the recommend hops or threw in some different ones?

Wicked sounds good. Did you use the recommend hops or threw in some different ones?

Yooper's recipe (in the recipe database) is fantastic. DO NOT sub the hops!! The Simcoe/Amarillo combination is what makes this beer. I've done the extract version twice and was very pleased with the results.

Read the whole thread. Every question has been asked about that recipe and there is much to learn. There was for me, at least.

Here ya go. I quickly rewrote the article from BYO.com Magazine. This is the recipe from Bryan Selders and Sam Calagione

OG=1.064
FG=1.019
IBU=60
SRM=6
ABV=5.8

My SRM was much higher in beersmith for some reason. But after making it it is definitely not dark at all.

Ingredients:
6lb 14oz Muntons Light DME (I used liquid)
1.5lbs Pale Malt (2 row)
6.4oz Amber Malt
1tsp Irish Moss
.70oz Warrior (60-35 mins)
.28oz Simcoe (35-25 mins)
.70oz Palisade (25-0 mins)
.70oz Palisade (Flame out)
Dry Hop:
.59oz Amarillo
.59oz Simcoe
.59oz Glacier (I used Fuggles cause they are yummy and listed as a direct replacement.)

Steps:

1.5lbs Pale Malt (2 row)
6.4oz Amber Malt
Mash at 152F for 45min in 2.25qts water.

Rinse with 1qt 170F water.

Add water to make 4gallons.

Stir in 4lbs Muntons Light Dried Malt Extract and bring to boil. (during boil dont let the wort volume drop below 3.5 gallons)

Begin hopping with a continuous stream of Warrior. 0.28oz per 10min. Should run out of warrior at 35min left in boil. Refill hopper with Simcoe and resume hopping until 25min remaining. Refill hopper with Palisade for the remaining time.

Irish Moss and remaining hextract at 15min left.

.70 oz of palisade at flame-out

Dryhop with .59oz Amarillo, .59oz Simcoe & .59 oz Glacier

Wyeast 1187 (ringwood Ale) or other English ale yeast.

7/8 cup corn sugar for priming.

My LHBS is Xtreme Brewing in Millsboro DE. Check their website out. Doug, the owner, is the guy with Sam from Dogfish in the pictures in Sam's Extreme Brewing book. They have brewed together and the kits from Xtreme Brewing are direct source recipes. They also have several more Dogfish recipes/ kits avail.Great people to deal with as well!

Latest posts

Back