Caramel/Roasted nut flavors??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWM777

Reaction score
Just took a drink of my all-extract Hefeweizen that's been in the bottle about 3 weeks. To my surprise, it has a distinct caramel/roasted flavor, and a much more muted banana/clove flavor than I expected. I'm guessing this is due to my malt extract caramelizing too much in the boil? Here's the recipe:

6.6lbs LME (German Wheat Extract)
1.5oz Hallertau
White Labs 300 pitched @ 68°

What else might have caused this flavor profile? I don't mind it, and it's not bad, but as I learn and get better, it's important to me that I know why and how certain flavors are created.

For now, I'll just call it my happy accident.

Any input is appreciated!

Good on your for asking and wondering, and realizing that it's still a good beer, just not the one you were shooting for. That's how brewers improve and/or innovate.

I can't think of anything else - probably caramelization. You'll get more banana/clove if the fermentation temperature is on the higher side of the yeast's preferred range...68 is fine to pitch but will give you a more subdued banana/clove if that's the main ferm temp.

Boil a larger volume or add 2/3 of the LME with 15 minutes to go, and ferment warmer.

Good on your for asking and wondering, and realizing that it's still a good beer, just not the one you were shooting for. That's how brewers improve and/or innovate.

I can't think of anything else - probably caramelization. You'll get more banana/clove if the fermentation temperature is on the higher side of the yeast's preferred range...68 is fine to pitch but will give you a more subdued banana/clove if that's the main ferm temp.

Boil a larger volume or add 2/3 of the LME with 15 minutes to go, and ferment warmer.

Great info! Is there a lighter LME that would be good for a Hefeweizen? The other thing that happened I had not expected was how dark the beer was. It's a real dark amber, compared to the typical German Hefe's I've had. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389575107.776657.jpg

Extract brew often are a little darker than AG brews, but it shouldn't matter all that much. What may have happened is melanoidin formation during your boil. If your boil was small (2-3 gallons), your wort was concentrated enough to caramelize. Furthermore, if you added the malt extract over a hot burner, it may have slightly scorched as you mixed poured it in.

Something completely different that I don't know about may have happened.

I'm glad you still like the beer, though! Good luck~!

Oh, right, what yeast did you use? 'American Hefeweizen' strains make a subdued banana/clove character. I am currently making a Sahti beer with Wyeast 3068 and fermenting warm (70*F-75*F room temperature near the woodstove), which is a good way to boost banana esters.

Extract brew often are a little darker than AG brews, but it shouldn't matter all that much. What may have happened is melanoidin formation during your boil. If your boil was small (2-3 gallons), your wort was concentrated enough to caramelize. Furthermore, if you added the malt extract over a hot burner, it may have slightly scorched as you mixed poured it in.

Something completely different that I don't know about may have happened.

I'm glad you still like the beer, though! Good luck~!

Oh, right, what yeast did you use? 'American Hefeweizen' strains make a subdued banana/clove character. I am currently making a Sahti beer with Wyeast 3068 and fermenting warm (70*F-75*F room temperature near the woodstove), which is a good way to boost banana esters.

I used the White Labs 300 German Wheat yeast. But perhaps my fermentation temp was too low. It's nearly impossible to keep fermentation above 70° in a basement here in Michigan this time of year. Perhaps a ferm-wrap heater and temp controller are in my future!

Back