Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewcraft Rogue Dead Guy kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
mysteryberto
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Brewcraft Rogue Dead Guy kit

Yesterday I picked up a brewcraft Rogue Dead Guy kit and a smack pack of pacman yeast from my LHBS.

Kit includes: hops,specialty grains,DME, and candi sugar.

However the instructions were a bit lacking. I've brewed three times before with extract and partial grains.

The recipe calls for adding half the malt extract at the beginning and then it follows the normal hops schedule. At the end after turning the heat down it then tells you to add the candi sugar and the other half of the malt extract. I always thought it was better to boil all the DME from the beginning?

Last edited by mysteryberto; 05-04-2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Pressed enter on accident

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

What they are suggesting is called the "Late Extract addition," the purpose is to keep the final brew from being dark due to the over boiling of the malt extract...It's a great tip for making any extract brews. You put enough extract in the beginning to get hops utilization, then add the rest late in the boil to pasturize the rest of the dme...This way the extract doesn't get overly carmellized...it also helps avoid "extract twang."

Since you have got the rare pacman yeast, you should consider harvesting or culturing some before you pitch it all in the wort...Or at least harvest and wash it after you rack to secondary....It's a hard yeast to get. Especially since they are only releasing it with the kit this year....SO you want to keep it (A bunch of us are harvesting it from bottles of Rogue Beers....) But getting the fresh culture is better. Look at the wiiki's or do a forum search on how to harvest or wash the yeast...you'll be glad in the future you did!

So what's the instructions/recipe? I've got a clone bottle conditioning now (Yooper's recipe) but it doesn't call for candi sugar...how much is in the recipe?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
lemmy
Recipes 

I just brewed this last Wednesday and I agree that the instructions were a bit vague. They were written as if someone was talking you through it.

As for the candi sugar its a pound of mixed light, med and dark. Funny thing is they don't tell you what kind of grains or hops are included.

BTW,make a starter. And like Revvy said start reading the yeast washing thread. Your gonna have fun with this one. I know I did.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
mysteryberto

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

With a bit of googling I was able to find out what the ingredients are:
Dead Guy Homebrew kits include whole Perle and Czech Saaz Hops, Amber, Munich and Crystal Malts, Candi Sugar and English Pale Ale malt extract.

The bittering hops and flavoring hops are separate vaccum sealed bags of pelleted hops. The specialty grains all come in one big bag so it's not possible to know how much of each grain is used. I have a scale if you'd like measurements on any of the ingredients.

The instructions are really wordy and sort of confusing so I don't want to type them out verbatim. But here is a condensed version:

1. Put 3 gallons of water on the stove and turn on heat. Add grains to grain steeping bag and place into water.
2. Allow water to heat slowly to 150 degrees and hold at this temperature for 30 minutes
3. Remove grains and squeeze out water of bag.
4. Bring water to boil and add half of DME.
5. Add half of bittering hops to pot.
6. After 40 minutes of boiling take other half of bittering hops and add to pot.
7. After another 15 minutes take aroma hops and put them in. Boil for 10 more minutes
8. Turn down heat. Add other half of DME and add Amber Candi Sugar.Stir until dissolved
9. Pour enough cold water into wort until it's cool enough it won't damage fermenter.
10. Pour wort into fermenter and top off to 5 gallons with cold water.
11. Pitch yeast at 60-64 degrees.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-14-2008, 03:49 AM   #6
mysteryberto

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So it's been a couple months since I talked about brewing this kit. The brew went fine although I think I ended up with closer to 4.5 gallons rather than 5 and did not add water.The gravity ended up pretty high at 1.072 and finished at 1.014.

The taste is similar to the original but has a little bit more alcohol and less hop taste. If I were to brew this kit again I'd use less of the candi sugar and more hops than the kit includes.

Overall a good beer that is very close to Dead Guy but lacking in hops. Here is a picture of it.

Primary: All grain pale ale, Pliny The Elder clone
Bottled:Double Noogie IPA, Amber Ale
Kegged: Brewcraft Dead Guy kit,Apfelwein, Raspberry wheat beer

Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Instead of the Kit, brew Yooper's clone recipe...I'd like to know what you think....

Old 07-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
OOOHHHHH....Big mistake in line 3 NEVER SQUEEZE THE STEEPING BRAIN BAG!!!!

Brain Bag? And I thought Dead Guy was just a name.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:49 AM   #9
mysteryberto

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Instead of the Kit, brew Yooper's clone recipe...I'd like to know what you think....
It's on my list of beers to brew.

I have a question that's been bugging me about Dead Guy. Rogue claims it's a Maibock beer but I thought Maibocks were lagers? It's brewed with Pacman an ale yeast but the instructions with the kit said to ferment at around 60 F for a cleaner finish.

Is it a hybrid beer or ???

Primary: All grain pale ale, Pliny The Elder clone
Bottled:Double Noogie IPA, Amber Ale
Kegged: Brewcraft Dead Guy kit,Apfelwein, Raspberry wheat beer

Old 07-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryberto View Post
It's on my list of beers to brew.

I have a question that's been bugging me about Dead Guy. Rogue claims it's a Maibock beer but I thought Maibocks were lagers? It's brewed with Pacman an ale yeast but the instructions with the kit said to ferment at around 60 F for a cleaner finish.

Is it a hybrid beer or ???
It's a "maibock styled ale."

One thing though, the brewmaster from Rogue likes to brew it @ around 60 degrees, so he's using the ale yeast at it's lowest temp range...so it's almost on the border with lagers.

Last edited by Revvy; 07-15-2008 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply