Boiling Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffeebro

Reaction score
I think I might have an issue with one of my latest brews. Im not sure that I boiled my extract long enough. The airlock is not bubbling, though there is fermentation going on. Could not boiling long enough cause an issue with DME?

Not that I know off. I've heard of brewers boiling their beers for as little as 15 minutes when doing extract beers. How long did you boil?

Boiling extract isn't a factor. It's been processed by the manufacturer, and so doesn't need to be boiled at all. It's customary to boil at least a portion of it, and many brewers add the majority of it at flame out. But as long as it's sanitary, boiling it isn't necessary.

Hey Yooper

What is the difference in the beer outcome of adding the LME early vs late in the boil?

Hey Yooper

What is the difference in the beer outcome of adding the LME early vs late in the boil?

Adding it early in the boil will increase maillard reactions (similiar to caramelization), and darken the wort, and often have a "cooked extract" taste.

Adding it late in the boil will have less maillard reactions and less darkening and taste fresher and not like extract.

I took a peak at it and its fermenting away. I must have a bad seal on the container.

So are you recommending to not boil the wort for an hour like most recipes say?

I took a peak at it and its fermenting away. I must have a bad seal on the container.

So are you recommending to not boil the wort for an hour like most recipes say?

Not exactly! The boiling time depends on the hops additions for an extract batch. The extract itself, though, doesn't need to boil as it's already been processed by the manufacturer.

If you want to post a recipe that you've done, or like to do, we could take a look and tell you the way we'd do it for best results.

Personally I add it at flame out. It is frustrating trying to get back up to a boil after you just added a bunch of room temp liquid or solid. So it just made the most sense to call that the end of the boil

So you boil the hops for an hour to get your bitterness, then add the DME. Interesting.

My guess is you dont get boil overs that way either.

I add 1.5-2lbs of plain DME to the partial boil of 2.5-3.5G of water for hop additions. Remaining DME & all LME at flame out.

Back