Barleywine with blackberry honey questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky_pine

Reaction score
I just brewed the following recipe. I was going to use clover honey but the LHBS store was out so I used blackberry honey. Does anyone have any thoughts on how this beer might turn out? It's been in the primary for 12 days and I'm thinking about checking the gravity and racking to secondary soon. I'm not quite sure what the FG should be. Thanks for any help.

8 lbs. Briess LME, gold
5 lbs blackberry honey
1 vienna malt
1 lb wheat malt, white
1 lb crystal 15l
3 0z nugget 60 min
1 oz cascade 0 min

I put the wort on a wyeast 1056 yeast cake and just today the krausen went pretty much away.

I'm no expert but the honey being around 30% almost makes it a barley wine braggot if there is such a thing haha... That being said, it looks damn good to me. I plugged it in to my ibrewmaster and it looks like the 1056 should bring it down to around 1.024... Hope that helps

Thanks! I'm going to check gravity on Thursday and if it's close to 1.024, I'll rack to secondary.

I just bottled this beer today after a month and a half in primary and secondary. It was at 1.022. It's strong alcohol tasting but I'm hoping that that will mellow out with some age. It also tastes like menthol in the background.. Is that normal for a barleywine or did something go wrong somewhere?

Back