Wierd film in boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm boiling a dry stout right now and it has a wierd film on the edges. There is some foam around the edges and the film is around it. Any ideas? I don't think it will matter I'm just curious.

Would not worry at all. Weird foams and films always appear in most of my brews. The Old English used to pledge they would skim the wort during the boiling. Sometimes I do if the no Murphies show up during the brew session. i.e. it's a "boring" brew day.

Very much like a gravy skin, yes. And did have some roasted malts. Also had some black patent and acid malt that I have never used previously. I just skimmed it off while it cooling and racked to primary.

less trub in the carboy - your totally fine. My films look like some farm animal FDASFDSAFD in my beer. Still smelled good. And after fermenting and keggin it tasted way good. In fact my buddies killed half of my "house ale" and now I have to brew more.

Probably just hot break, and it gets a dark and slimey from your roasted malts. It sort of reminds me of when you use actual milk in hot chocolate, and when it is really hot at first and you blow on it, you get a weird film on the top.

As to whether or not to remove it...I personally don't remove the hot break. I believe it is a protein compound, and may help with foam and head retention. If you leave it there long enough with a strong boil it eventually works its way back into the wort. I've never had clarity problems from doing this either (with lighter beers though of course, kinda hard to have clarity on a stout).

That's my theory as well, though I've heard people say that the protein that evolves in the hot break settles out as trub anyway. I'd love to see a side by side experiment for that... how is head retention and body affected by skimming?

Back