What the hell did I make???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishing73

Reaction score
I had an extra ounce of cluster hops and felt like brewing something up. I went to my local store and grabbed a 10# bag of bohemian pilsner 2 row and a 1# bag of maris otter 2 row. I used safele us 05.

I have no idea how to come up with a recipe. Just grabbed some ingredients and brewed it up. Just curious what I made. Thanks Y'all. :mug:

Sounds fun. One of my best beers consisted of grains left over from other beers and half ounces of hops left over with that same yeast. I'm convinced that if you throw anything together and you're sanitary and ferment within range you'll get a decent beer. One non-brewers would even pay for.

I had an extra ounce of cluster hops and felt like brewing something up. I went to my local store and grabbed a 10# bag of bohemian pilsner 2 row and a 1# bag of maris otter 2 row. I used safele us 05.

I have no idea how to come up with a recipe. Just grabbed some ingredients and brewed it up. Just curious what I made. Thanks Y'all. :mug:

What was your hop schedule and mash temp? Batch size? At 5.25g batch size you would have ended up around 1.050 with 71% efficiency. Depending on your hop schedule, I'd say you made a pale ale. Light, clean.

If you underhopped though, it will be closer to a BMC beer, minus the corn and rice. Call it a cream ale, I guess. I have one right now that BMC drinkers like and it was basically 50/50 2-row and Pale Ale malt lightly hopped with Wilamette.

It never fails, I can plan a recipe for months and hit all my numbers brewing it, but my best beers have always been my "use up the left-over grains/hops/old yeast" batches.

I threw in half an ounce at 60 minutes and continuasly threw in a few pellets through out the rest of the boil. Started with just over 6 gallons and ebded up with 5 in the carboy. I usually get around 71-73% efficiency. Hydrometer was broke so couldn't get a reading.

I threw in half an ounce at 60 minutes and continuasly threw in a few pellets through out the rest of the boil. Started with just over 6 gallons and ebded up with 5 in the carboy. I usually get around 71-73% efficiency. Hydrometer was broke so couldn't get a reading.

Then you probably ended up with 1.050 OG and about 13-15 IBU's. A bit underhopped to me, probably will taste like a better version of a Miller Lite.

Alright, so far I've been lucky then. I just use common sense when picking out left over stuff to use.

Within reason anything should work. 50/50 Peated Malt and Special B would be terrible but I wouldn't call that within reason...

If you feel like it is underhopped you could get some more flavor/aroma through a dry hop. Just something to think about. Sounds like you made a pretty simple beer which should be good for hot summer days.

If you do want to get into writing recipes I just did this year and picked up Ray Danielle's Designing Great Beers which basically will break down most styles and give you average percentages of what homebrewers and commercial brewers use in terms of malts, hops, and yeast. It's a dry read but packed full of info and now I pretty much only brew my own recipes.

Within reason anything should work. 50/50 Peated Malt and Special B would be terrible but I wouldn't call that within reason...

If you feel like it is underhopped you could get some more flavor/aroma through a dry hop. Just something to think about. Sounds like you made a pretty simple beer which should be good for hot summer days.

If you do want to get into writing recipes I just did this year and picked up Ray Danielle's Designing Great Beers which basically will break down most styles and give you average percentages of what homebrewers and commercial brewers use in terms of malts, hops, and yeast. It's a dry read but packed full of info and now I pretty much only brew my own recipes.

Thanks for the info, would love to be able to come up with my own recipes.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381500/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'd say go for it. Writing my own recipes has really upped my interest in brewing. Despite how nervous I was about the first one I have yet to throw together something bad and I think a few have been really, really good. Next up for me then is competition to see if they are really good. It's really not rocket science, like people said, there are a lot of combinations that work. Once you make enough you'll learn your preferences and really be able to make what you like best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost always write my own recipes or at least heavily modify other ones. If you know SRM, IBU, ABV, and tasting notes you can easily craft beers yourself

Back