Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What grains can I SMaSH?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #21
DerBraumeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Brewing terminology is an odd polyglot of olde english and germanic words...Since they were the two cultures that seemed to contribute most to brewing. Surprisingly though despite it's contribution to brewing culture, I can't think of any Belgianbrewing definitions or terms in my drukken state.

Rausch is German. Wort is olde english...
Rauch is smoke.

Rausch is intoxication

Belgian is kind of a mix of english and german so, I guess it could be difficult for non Belgians to identify brewing vocabulary with a belgian origin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #22
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 912 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If Shlenkerla isn't 100% Rauch, it's gotta be 99%. It's bacon in a bottle but I can only enjoy it in 4oz increments.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #23
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

It would be interesting to see (if there isn't already) a thread that is a sort of SMaSH starting point. Starting with a list of all of the (mutually agreed upon) acceptable malt that could possibly be used. Then a list of all the hops that are out there. Sort of a starting point, and then people could post the combinations they are trying.

It could be a sticky that the mods maintain and could add and subtract ingredients as the consensus allows.

Also, I know this was touched on, but I never saw a clear agreement. Can extracts be used for this? Are there certain extracts that are single malt, and if so which are they? If one does use extract should there be an * or maybe call it a SMEaSH instead?

Just a couple of thoughts that kept me awake at 6am this morning.

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 10-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #24
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
This interests me... How much do you think you'd have to add to the mash?
According to this thread- Partial Oatmeal Mash with Just Alpha Amylase..,

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
You can get 1/4 lb. for $8-10 and that's the equivalent of 250 lbs of 2-row.
So .2 oz would equal 12.5 lbs of two row, enough to convert most grains.

Quote:
But anything you add to the grain, any adjunct defeatrs the purpose of what we consider a SMASH...

Again gang. a SMaSh is A sinngle Malt and a Single Hop.

If you add anythign to that cmbination it is a beer. but NOT a SMASH.....
Agreed. I like the idea of a subcategory here.
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 10-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #25
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnright00 View Post
It would be interesting to see (if there isn't already) a thread that is a sort of SMaSH starting point. Starting with a list of all of the (mutually agreed upon) acceptable malt that could possibly be used. Then a list of all the hops that are out there. Sort of a starting point, and then people could post the combinations they are trying.

It could be a sticky that the mods maintain and could add and subtract ingredients as the consensus allows.

Also, I know this was touched on, but I never saw a clear agreement. Can extracts be used for this? Are there certain extracts that are single malt, and if so which are they? If one does use extract should there be an * or maybe call it a SMEaSH instead?

Maybe we can have several categories-
  • SMaSH - Normal
  • SMEaSH - Extract
  • SMaAAaSH - For grains with no diastatic power, and need Alpha Amalyse

The last one would be fun to say, but hard to distinguish from normal.
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 10-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #26
mkorpal
Recipes 

Has anyone done an all wheat or all rye mash. How about an oat smash?

Primary: Exam Brown Ale
Primary: Unknown Mead
Secondary: Matt's Saison
Carbing: Raspberry Apple Cider 333
Enjoying: Lazy Ass Orange Pale Ale, Belgian Grand Cru, Belgian Dubble, Cherry Stout, Demonstration IPA

On Deck: Black IPA

Old 10-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #27
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnright00 View Post

You mean a general purposed thread about smashes like this???

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/what...ml#post1065943

Where there happens to contain a post by me on doing Extract smashes? http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/what...ml#post1065943

Complete with a couple links to some nearly if not all 100% single grain extracts?

No, we don't have anything like your suggesting....we've never discussed smashes until this thread.

Nor are there any in the similar threads boxes below this and other samsh threads.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #28
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
No, we don't have anything like your suggesting....we've never discussed smashes until this thread.
Heh, I know this has been discussed before. A search brought up many many threads. and that was kind of my point.

I was thinking more of one thread that says:
1.) What is SMaSH?
A: SMaSH stands for....etc.

2.)What Malts can I use?
A. Malts that you can use are 2-row, etc etc.
You can not use Crystal, etc.etc.

3.) A list of as many hops as can be imagined.

I know all this information is out there. I was just thinking of a STARTING point. Sort of a "You want to try a SMaSH? Start Here."

Like I said, I was lying awake early this morning and SWMBO would let me wake her up, so I logged on.

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 10-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #29
santosvega
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorpal View Post
Has anyone done an all wheat or all rye mash. How about an oat smash?
I attempted an Oat SMaSH, some time ago. I was inspired by accounts in a couple of 19th century brewing manuals of ales brewed from 100% malted oats in Yorkshire and Edinburgh in the old days.
Unfortunately that brew session was fraught with problems. I didn't get very good conversion, which I attribute probably to the crush, a bit too coarse. Also and more importantly, I tried to ferment it with a packet that happened to be from that infamous recalled batch of Nottingham yeast, which took too long to kick off and resulted in a visible infection in the primary. I've a mind to try again when time and funds allow.

Nobody's mentioned Golden Promise. I love the stuff, and regularly use it for 100% of the mash. Most of my favorite brews actually are 100% or nearly Golden Promise, maybe with some sugar or Golden Naked Oats. I think one of my upcoming brews will be a Golden Promise SMaSH with Brambling Cross, because, well, Brewmasters Warehouse sells Brambling Cross.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #30
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I would not recommend a 100% wheat SMaSH.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Quick Reply