URGENT: Screwed up my BIAB mashout. Is this brew session worth saving?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was set to do a 10 minute mashout at 168 for a BIAB session. Unfortunately a stinging wasp was attracted to my wort and after being stung and cleaning up I noticed that my wort temp had risen to 190 F with the BIAB grain still inside. It was probably at ths range for less than 5 minutes but I am thinking this could really have damaged the beer. Anyone have an opinion on if this is worth saving? (I am still continuing the boil and adding hops as you read this.)

Hey mick!

Tannin extraction requires hot water and high pH. Looks like you only had an overly aggressive mashout, so I think this batch is fine.

What's brewin?

Hey mick!

Tannin extraction requires hot water and high pH. Looks like you only had an overly aggressive mashout, so I think this batch is fine.

What's brewin?

I was brewing the popular Cream of the Crops Cream Ale. Our daycare provider loves this beer and it is key to keep her happy since we will be adding one more child to her service in November. I was concerned since doing a BIAB session with a voile cloth bag I had double crushed the grain and was concerned about having to fine of husk particles coming through and creating tannin extraction. The bag filtered out 99% of the pieces so that is good. Guess we will find out in 5-6 weeks

I only dump beer when it is undrinkable. I always give it a chance to get better. In this case, the advice to continue was the best, and in the future, unless a cadaver falls in to your beer, keep going until your sense of taste says to dump.

planetscott said:
I only dump beer when it is undrinkable. I always give it a chance to get better. In this case, the advice to continue was the best, and in the future, unless a cadaver falls in to your beer, keep going until your sense of taste says to dump.

Sense of taste, or gag reflex?

I was brewing the popular Cream of the Crops Cream Ale. Our daycare provider loves this beer and it is key to keep her happy since we will be adding one more child to her service in November. I was concerned since doing a BIAB session with a voile cloth bag I had double crushed the grain and was concerned about having to fine of husk particles coming through and creating tannin extraction. The bag filtered out 99% of the pieces so that is good. Guess we will find out in 5-6 weeks

yep, gonna be good. no worries!

Latest posts

Back