uh oh. I think.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bxtzd3

Reaction score
So I opened up my week old chocolate vanilla stout that I dumped on a pale ale yeast cake and found this. Is it just crust? Thats what I think but who knows. Gonna put it in a carboy to clear.

ForumRunner_20131201_101712.jpg

First off, dumping fresh wort on an old yeast cake is not a good practice, as you're dramatically overpitching and you may be pulling over unwanted flavors from the previous beer. In the future, you'd have a better brew if you wash the yeast from the previous batch and pitch into the new batch at the correct rate. But I'll get off that soapbox now :). I think your issue may actually be a result if the old yeast cake though, this looks like old hop material to me (of which there would be a lot in a pale ale). Possible that this much hop material made it into the fermenter in your previous beer and has now been stirred into this one? If that's the case, I wouldn't sweat it. Just let it settle out after fermentation has slowed.

Ya thats it. Of course I already transfered it, I also throw out direction. I was where I needed to be as per the hydrometer. It does have a hoppy flavour, that killed the chocolate and vanilla, but I wanted a hoppier stout. I think ill add at bottling. Experiment is the name of the game. As far as over pitching yeast, ya I was a little happy by the end of brewing.thanks for the reply. However the pale ale I made before is awesome.

I ment add vanilla and some chocolate. Whats the worst that can happen. I made beer. Again thanks for the quick reply

You've just created a new beer: Chocolate-Vanilla IPA

Bottled last night. Man, it tasted amazing. Tge non existing chocolate taste was back. No off flavors from the left over hops. I added more vanilla and I hope that comes back. But really good so far.

bxtzd3 said:
Bottled last night. Man, it tasted amazing. Tge non existing chocolate taste was back. No off flavors from the left over hops. I added more vanilla and I hope that comes back. But really good so far.

I'm fairly certain your vanilla and chocolate flavours will come through as your beer ages. Hops are always are the forefront when a beer is young, give it time to age and I'm sure it'll be absolutely delicious!

I'd recommend keep a bottle for a year and ses how it tastes like then. :)

Back