Thoughts on Imp Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuckX

Reaction score
At first glance it may seem like I just randomly threw together a bunch of ingredients, but in reality there was some thought process put behind this. If you guys could look at this and provide a sanity check it would be much appreciated.

Type: All Grain
Date: 12/5/2010
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Brewer: Mike
Boil Size: 8.62 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Equipment: Mike's Brewpot (9 gal)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00
OG Estimate: 1.087
FG Estimate: 1.022

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
15 lbs Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 71.43 %
1 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 120L (Briess) (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.38 %
2.00 oz Target [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 53.8 IBU
1.00 items Campden Tablet Misc
1.00 oz Licorice Root (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Vanilla Bean (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 lbs Brown Sugar, Dark (Boil 5.0 min) (50.0 SRM) Sugar 4.76 %
8.0 oz Molasses (Boil 5.0 min) (80.0 SRM) Sugar 2.38 %
2 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

You're not boiling the molasses? Are you sure it's sanitary, i.e., you're not using an opened bottle out of your spice cabinet, right? ;)

Actually yes its getting added to the boil.. missed that when I posted. Fixed now.

Thanks!

At first glance it may seem like I just randomly threw together a bunch of ingredients

Yeah, it does. I'd simplify quite a bit if I were to brew that. It looks like you'll have a lot of competing flavors. I would decide on two or three of those "extra" ingredients to showcase and ditch the rest. IMO the special B, licorice, vanilla, brown sugar, and molasses all together would be too much.

Hmmm, I thought the brown sugar and molasses would benefit each other well, and the licorice I felt would also compliment very well with that flavoring. Special B pretty much goes into everything I brew now, it has enhanced every single beer I have made with it so far. The vanilla was a last minute decision because the way vanilla bean tastes combined with the licorice brown sugar/molasses flavor in my head seems heavenly.... i know the vanilla bean worked very well in my pumpkin ale which had both special b and brown sugar in it.

You have to remember that these flavors need to peak through the roast and chocolate of the stout base. But thank you for the feedback, I am still formulating so keep it coming!

Vanilla is a background flavor, and the molasses + brown sugar will work together. As for the rest, Nateo has a point. ;)

I killed the Lactose because I think this will have enough sweetness to it, still not 100% sold on killing the Special B and/or Licorice though.... I really think it will work. There is only one way to find out. :mug:

I am not sure about the hops selection either, it works in a standard stout (which is one of my recipes I modified from) but not sure how it will work in this one. Going to stop by the LHB tonight and do some hop sampling, and ponder the B and the licorice a bit too.

I've never used flaked barley but 5 lbs sounds like a truckload. From what I understand it's unmalted and used to add body and head retention. It also adds a grainy flavor. .5 - 1 lb is typical for a 5 gallon batch.

Nope good catch, it was supposed to be .5lbs I was half awake last night when I put thoughts to BS entry. Fixing that now before I buy too much. :)

You need some eye of newt in there...some serpent scales and such. It seriously sounds amazing and delicious though. I would oak that mammer jammer too. Maybe even soak the oak in bourbon and get some vanillas from that.

Less than 18 lbs of grains/sugars with 65% efficiency... what's the new OG since you re-set the barley? You might need to add some more MO.

Yeah I made the adjustments in BS, just didn't update the thread. First posting has been adjusted to reflect the real numbers now.

You need some eye of newt in there...some serpent scales and such. It seriously sounds amazing and delicious though. I would oak that mammer jammer too. Maybe even soak the oak in bourbon and get some vanillas from that.

Yep, great idea. I love oaking beers. I will oak half of this batch to see whcih I like better, but I have a feeling I already know.

Latest posts

Back