Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Thinking (again) about BIAB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
prosper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you can get 'game bags' for cheap at the local sportsman shop bass-pro, cabelas, etc. They're meant for dragging dead moose, elk and deer out of the bush, but they're the perfect size for various brew-day tasks, incl. BIAB.

They're also good for storing potatoes and onions

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Let me clarify - I am talking about Aussie-style, not DeathBrewer style (although I have read his method and I do like it).
I think you will need a bigger pot to make a standard 5 gallon batch. A 10 gallon is probably the minimum size. Have a look on the Aussie boards they will give you the 411.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
Craigvu
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
I think you will need a bigger pot to make a standard 5 gallon batch. A 10 gallon is probably the minimum size. Have a look on the Aussie boards they will give you the 411.
Ditto on the needing a bigger pot. I have a 10 gallon pot and my 6.5 gallon preboil batches with 12 lb of grain are within an inch of the top of the rim. Going with separate mash and sparge would work well...and you dont even need another pot, you can just dump your mash-ed liquid into a bucket while you're sparging. Think there's a sticky on that method too.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was looking through the cabinets in the kitchen last night and found a 16 qt. pot. This got me thinking about partial mash & using it to hold my sparge water.

If I got a 5 gallon economy kettle (like the one I started out with way back in the day), I could mash in that w/ my grain bag, heat sparge water in my 4 gal, then take everything outside to my bigger pot to boil on the burner... could be cool. Kinda wanting to make northern brewer's partial mash oatmeal stout...

Old 07-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #15
Trouble_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosper View Post
you can get 'game bags' for cheap at the local sportsman shop bass-pro, cabelas, etc. They're meant for dragging dead moose, elk and deer out of the bush, but they're the perfect size for various brew-day tasks, incl. BIAB.
Just try to stay away from using the bag for both uses!

Trouble Brewing
Member of the Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts

Old 07-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #16
ryan0914
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

your process sounds pretty good except i would leave out the adding wort back to the grain.I've tried adding water back through the grain and i dint really notice a difference except it being a pain in the ass. just grind the grain fine, mash long enough, and then squeeze. As for water retention it isn't really that much i don't know exactly how much water i loose but it really isn't all that much after i drain and then squeeze. and finally i have a 15 gal pot from Austin home brew and my limit is 17-18LB of grain with a water ratio of .65gal to lb

Old 07-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #17
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble_Brewing View Post
Just try to stay away from using the bag for both uses!
what? That's how you make an authentic moose head clone.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #18
eljefebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Or Moose Drool Brown Ale clone!

Mmm... Moose Drool...

Bucket: Air
Bottles/Drinking: Pirate's Plunder IPA, Peach Wheat
Bottle Conditioning: EdWort's Apfelwein - some still, some primed

Old 08-25-2010, 12:50 AM   #19
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

+1 to adding something to keep it off the bottom. False bottom is a good approach if you use whole hops.

You can keep the kettle small if you heat some water separately on the stove and pour it slowly over the bag.

-1 to using wort to sparge with. Sugars flow from high concentration to low concentration. This won't happen if you sparge with an isotonic solution. Sparge to your boil volume with 168f water.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:42 AM   #20
phishfood
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
I was looking through the cabinets in the kitchen last night and found a 16 qt. pot. This got me thinking about partial mash & using it to hold my sparge water.

If I got a 5 gallon economy kettle (like the one I started out with way back in the day), I could mash in that w/ my grain bag, heat sparge water in my 4 gal, then take everything outside to my bigger pot to boil on the burner... could be cool. Kinda wanting to make northern brewer's partial mash oatmeal stout...
Kinda sorta what I do, except I use a 5 gal cooler to mash in. Heat the mash water (in my kettle) a few degrees past strike temperature, then pour into the cooler. Add the bag and then stir in the grain. Heat the sparge water in the kettle, dunk the bag with grains into that, stir, let set, stir, remove bag and grains, set in spare bucket to cool off a little. Mix mash and sparge in kettle, and boil. When the grains cool down enough, squeeze the crap out of them, and add that to the kettle as well. If you have an 8 or so gallon pot, all you need is a round 5 gallon cooler, which is probably cheaper than another kettle.

Quick Reply