Stella Artois Clone ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
Can anyone give me an ALL GRAIN simple step Stella Artois clone plz... All the ones i'v found on the forums are extract or partials... 5gallons is the max I can batch :)

Stella
German Pilsner (Pils)
Type: All Grain Date: 7/10/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal Brewer:
Boil Size: 6.60 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 5.50 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal Est Mash Efficiency 85.1 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 89.5 %
1 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 2 10.5 %
1.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 3 20.0 IBUs
1.10 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 4 -
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 3.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 1.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Danish Lager (Wyeast Labs #2042) [124.21 ml] Yeast 7 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
Bitterness: 24.2 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 3.0 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 8.0 oz
Sparge Water: 4.77 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 11.88 qt of water at 159.1 F 148.0 F 75 min

Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 4.77gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

One of the problems with Stella is that it comes over on a boat and is kept in green bottles which create some skunkiness when poorly stored.

Have you ever tried a Victory Prima Pils?

Just asking... Maybe get a sixer of that and try it. The types of people who like Stella tend to get really excited when they discover what a fresh, well crafted, brown-bottled Pils can taste like.

I have actually shamed a few bartenders at craft brew bars who avoided recommending this to Stella drinkers, dismissing it as too hoppy. I have offered to finish and pay for the bottle if the person didn't like it. And invariably their eyes light up. It is kind of like Stella... But fresh and with an impressive aroma. The thing is, it's not really hoppy, but us craft brew types tend to think of all the aroma and flavor and dismiss it for people who don't like craft brew. That is wrong, IMO.

By and large, I have found that people who aren't beer enthusiasts tend to respond really favorably to aroma and flavor hops if the bitterness is kept reasonably low. And Prima Pils does this pretty well. They tend to describe the beers as "fresh".

Some of that "skunky" flavor is yeast driven from that danish yeast. Same with heineken & carlsberg

Stella tastes way better out of a keg than a bottle. Also tastes better in Belgium than over here.

Macro or not, my wife loves the stuff so I have a Stella clone on deck. Checked numerous recipes online and went with what I thought would work best. Simple beer me thinks.

8 lbs Belgian pilsner
0.5 lbs flaked maize
Est OG 1.049, est FG 1.008
Saaz (3.2% AA): 0.5 oz FWH, 1.0 oz 60 min, 1 oz 20 min, 0.5 oz 5 min (21 IBU total)

Not sure what yeast to use. Probably just the Munich Lager yeast I have in house. If someone can strongly recommend something better I might give it a shot.

One of the problems with Stella is that it comes over on a boat and is kept in green bottles which create some skunkiness when poorly stored.

Have you ever tried a Victory Prima Pils?

Just asking... Maybe get a sixer of that and try it. The types of people who like Stella tend to get really excited when they discover what a fresh, well crafted, brown-bottled Pils can taste like.

I have actually shamed a few bartenders at craft brew bars who avoided recommending this to Stella drinkers, dismissing it as too hoppy. I have offered to finish and pay for the bottle if the person didn't like it. And invariably their eyes light up. It is kind of like Stella... But fresh and with an impressive aroma. The thing is, it's not really hoppy, but us craft brew types tend to think of all the aroma and flavor and dismiss it for people who don't like craft brew. That is wrong, IMO.

By and large, I have found that people who aren't beer enthusiasts tend to respond really favorably to aroma and flavor hops if the bitterness is kept reasonably low. And Prima Pils does this pretty well. They tend to describe the beers as "fresh".

Love that stuff. What a revelation.

Latest posts

Back