So I am building a mash tun, How do I use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheH2

Reaction score
Since I'm building it based on this: Although I plan on using a 5 gallon cooler.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com//showthread.php?t=23008

I don't have instructions on how to use it.

So, after the mash I drain the wort. What stops it from getting stuck?

Then I sparge (batch sparge). Do I do this by adding the water (at the right temp), briefly stirring and then drain? I obviously don't want to stir much, right? Seems like the converted cooler would result in a stuck sparge. Is there something else I need to do?

Basically my question is: don't I need some sort of false bottom? I'm about 10 pages through a 28 page thread and am confused about how to do the false bottom.

Thanks,

I plan on building this tonight or tomorrow (seems more likely) and brewing the fat tire clone (very excited about the Fat Tire Wyeast) this weekend. I've done two partial mashes so far with kitchen equipment and look forward to having a mash tun.

The braided hose is what separates the grain and liquid. It shouldn't stick provided your crush isn't too fine or you use too much wheat (in which case you use rice hulls in the mash to break things up). You can stir as much as you like, provided you aren't currently draining it. Otherwise you are likely to get some husks through the braid.

I suggest reading www.howtobrew.com where a nice walkthrough is presented on the AG process.

The stainless steel braid is used in place of a false bottom. It's actually pretty difficult to get a sparge stuck with a SS braid.

Give www.howtobrew.com a good read to get all the details on mashing, it's your best friend (except for this forum of course :D).

Wow, that was fast. Nice to know I won't need a false bottom with this setup.

Thanks for all your responses. It looks like I have some good reading for the metro ride home.

Thanks again.

jdoiv said:
The braided hose is what separates the grain and liquid. It shouldn't stick provided your crush isn't too fine or you use too much wheat (in which case you use rice hulls in the mash to break things up). You can stir as much as you like, provided you aren't currently draining it. Otherwise you are likely to get some husks through the braid.

Ya know, I see this everywhere and used to do it myself. Vourlauf, stir in sparge h2o and then let it sit 10 mins and drain it again. From Denny's webiste though he says he stirs again right before he vourlaufs the sparge water. Only place I've seen this. Did it a few time, but havent noticed any real difference.

I just built my Coleman Extreme Cooler mash tun with parts from Lowe's as described here:

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/mashtun.html

I think it will be great for every conceivable 5 gallon batch and most 10 gallon batches. 35 bucks for the cooler from Dicks Sporting Goods and 15 bucks for the parts from Lowe's for an awesome mash tun that will last a long time:ban:

It's "extremely" insulated for better temperature control and check out the pictures on the drain. That's right... the drain slopes down towards the spigot. Mash, mash mash and tilt ever so slightly and you get ALL the sweet wort.

+1 on going bigger than 5 gal. 10 gal or 40+ quarts is better if you want to make heavier beers.

I've been blowing the ten gallon trumpet for years, but no one seems to listen......

Don't waste your money on the 5 gallon cooler- you'll outgrow it faster than you think.

I'm with all the others. Don't waste your time with a 5 gallon mash tun. That robs you of all the flexibility you should enjoy with AG brewing.

TL

Bernie Brewer said:
I've been blowing the ten gallon trumpet for years, but no one seems to listen......

Don't waste your money on the 5 gallon cooler- you'll outgrow it faster than you think.

I listened. Glad I did too. :cross:

Ok guys, I'm new to the all grain and decided to build my own mash tun out of a 60qt igloo cooler, and a copper manifold. I decided first to use the existing hole for the valve, but I'm thinking it is too high above the bottom of the cooler to work properly. Is my thinking correct or am I good to go? Also, holes or slits, or both? Which is better and why and please explain what size holes or slits I should drill/cut. Thanks!

image.jpg

Back