The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > snow is a great wort chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Jamming
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default snow is a great wort chiller

dscn2167.jpg   dscn2166.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

is that a submersible pump? what brand and horsepower/size is it? where did you get it? i'm thinking of doing this exact same thing, recirculating ice water through my immersion chiller.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

I want to do this too and keep using the same water re-frozen. My CFC is a water waster. Even if it does water the lawn.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Zixxer10R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelipen View Post
I want to do this too and keep using the same water re-frozen. My CFC is a water waster. Even if it does water the lawn.
You could just run your CFC output into a bucket and recirc from there with a sump pump. Same concept, except you still get to use the CFC, which chills much better than an immersion chiller.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 287 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelipen View Post
I want to do this too and keep using the same water re-frozen.
Keep in mind that you'll be storing was amounts to 5-6 bags of ice (at least) if you decide to go this route.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zixxer10R

You could just run your CFC output into a bucket and recirc from there with a sump pump. Same concept, except you still get to use the CFC, which chills much better than an immersion chiller.
Thats likely what I'll do. I didn't mean adapt a cooler, just use a pump to recirc chilled water. My freezer is full of frozen water bottles, i'll just keep those cycling.
I'm just not sure if it would be efficient enough. There is a lot of heat energy in 6 gallons of boiling wort. My water is super cheap, I just hate to waste it.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Ahh yes snow, I had forgotten what that looked like. We have hardly had more than a few flurries this year.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
geer537
I'm a member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My advice on this in order to cut down on the amount of ice you need on hand is to start chilling the water in your cooler at the onset of brewday. Begin your cool down with your CFC or Immersion Chiller as normal then transfer to recirculating at about 100-110. I use an immersion chiller and can get the wort to 100 pretty quickly but it slows down after that. Then I'll hook the immersion chiller up to the pump submerged in ice water and let it go until the desired temps. Either way you would be wasting a lot of ice or a lot of water. If snow is abundant you're set. For me I guess I kind of use a hybrid technique since I don't get snow.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Airplanedoc - I like your "location" description...Peoples Republic of Chicago...I feel the same way.

To everyone: I originally asked what size/horsepower rating was being used on the sump pump. I have looked at a few online and some of the ratings make me wonder if they will work for this application. In the OP's picture it appears that he is not using a garden hose adaptor and therefore it must be a smaller size pump.

I just wanted to get an idea about what people are using, IF you are recirculating cooling water for your wort after the boil. Right now I am just running good water down the drain and would like to stop wasting water.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
geer537
I'm a member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Mine's Basic-

http://www.harborfreight.com/264-gph...ump-68395.html

Can't beat the price and it is pretty simple. Keep your pot above the cooler and pump set up. There was an adapter that fit my immersion chiller and the side that would normally get hooked up to my garden nose gets put in the water to recirulate. the pump is nothing special, cheap and works.

But like I said- You're going to need to experiment with wasting a little water first anyways. If not you will be dumping 210 degree water on ice and that will heat your ice bath up quick. Then you are scrambling to put a lot more ice hot water. Your efforts are then spent keeping that ice bath cooled instead of cooling your wort.

Quick Reply