Smash recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was a smash it would only have a Single Malt and Single Hop. I'd just call it a hodge podge ale and see how it turns out:D. One of the brewers here in town does that every once in a while and it's never bad.

Besides the smash fact, I think with the 1.25 lbs crystal you'll have enough body and head retention so what's the need for carapils?

No reason. I have it laying around and wanted to use it. I thought a SMASH beer was what you made when you had a bunch of leftover grains and hops from other batches. Hence the 0.4 oz of Simcoe.

Single Malt and Single Hop.

By definition no specialty grains, only base malt, and only one hop for all additions, be they bittering, flavour or aroma. What you're doing is pretty much the exact opposite

Heh. Sorry, I'm a noob and still learning a ton of stuff.

So other than the fact that I need to change the name of the recipe, how does it look?

That actually looks very similar to my "Mutt Ale" that I brewed last week. I just had a bunch of small bundles of grain lying around less than 8oz each and just wanted to clear up some space. It feremented out so fast, I was freaked that it may not have hit gravity, but it did. Spot on 1.011, so I went ahead and tasted the gravity sample and it was pretty good. Mine was a little short on hoppyness that I was hoping for, but it looks like you've got that covered.

Well, whatever this thing is called, it's in the fermentor now. I will let you know how it turns out. The color of the wort was really nice. It was a fairly dark amber with a reddish twinge. Can't wait to see how it tastes!

I racked this beer to a keg today and dry hopped it with 2oz of Millenium pellets. It finished at 1.010. I tasted the sample and I'm really looking forward to drinking it. It had a good balance and a rich amber color.

Back