Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Rushing into All Grain?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #31
pablo1337
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I do all grain on my electric stove, with a 12qt and 21qt pot. I have a 5gal cooler mash tun, and a 5 gal cooler hlt. I do pretty much what you describe, but I normally can just use my big pot to heat mash and sparge water. I split hop additions, cool, and then mixing in the primary.

I like having the different batches boil at different times(I use two kitchen timers to keep my times right). One batch finishes boiling while the other cools.

My only issue is that I have had to top off with between one and two quarts of water. Even when topping off i have gotten around 75% brewhouse efficiency on my last two batches(grain crushed by Northern Brewer)

I have done an all grain batch in 4 hours with this set up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #32
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 319

True, mine have been small batches but Scottland makes it sound as though there is nothing less than 5 gallon batches that can be done. The OP has an apartment with very limited space. Doing a small batch makes sense for him/her as it can all be done in that apartment, no problem. Well, there is one problem, you only get half as much beer at a time but that give opportunity to brew more frequently to get the experience and less waste if a batch goes awry. The process is still the same, heat water to stike temp and add grain, keep the temperature in the proper range until saccrification is achieved, cool quickly and add yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply