Questions after second all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuriousE

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just finished my second all grain batch. Its the Petite Saison D'ete from Norther Brewer. Recipe is as follows:

4.5 lbs Belgian Pilsner
2.75 lbs German Vienna
.75 lbs Torrefied Wheat
1 oz UK Kent Goldings (60 min)
.25 oz Styrian Goldings (Celia) (10 min)
.25 oz Saaz (10 min)
.75 oz Styrian Goldings (Celia) 2 min
.75 oz Saaz (2 min)

I think everything went well. I collected 6.75 gallons at 1.036 pre boil. I have a couple of questions:

1) I mashed 11 Quarts at 165 degrees. My target mash temperature was 150. I measured it at 147. Is this a big deal? How can I adjust Beersmith to take into account what actually happened?

2) I was expecting .5 gallons boil off per hour (according to Beersmith). I actually experienced about 2 gallons per hour. I have a shorter, wider kettle vs a higher, narrower kettle. I assume this is why? Does 2 gallons per hour seem like a lot? I measured after cooling...

3) Assuming I keep boiling off at 2 gallons per hour, would you recommend sparging more and boiling the full volume to get to my target at the end, or topping up at the end of the boil (which is what I did this time).

4) When transferring from my boil kettle to my fermenter, should I be looking to leave all the hops behind? I used pellet hops. Should I put them in a bag to make this easier? Or should I just transfer them to my fermenter and not worry about it (which is what I did).

After my boil, I had 4.75 gallons, so I added another .75 gallons to get to 5.5 and measured an OG of 1.042, for a measured efficiency of 79.8%. I think this will turn out really well, and I am very excited to drink it!

Thanks in advance for any help.

You are fine. Shorter wider pots tend have more boil off volume, so you can learn and adjust for future batches. If you are batch sparging I highly recommend looking up the Denny Conn method. It takes so much stress out of the all grain brewing process.

Reply in red

Hey all,

Just finished my second all grain batch. Its the Petite Saison D'ete from Norther Brewer. Recipe is as follows:

4.5 lbs Belgian Pilsner
2.75 lbs German Vienna
.75 lbs Torrefied Wheat
1 oz UK Kent Goldings (60 min)
.25 oz Styrian Goldings (Celia) (10 min)
.25 oz Saaz (10 min)
.75 oz Styrian Goldings (Celia) 2 min
.75 oz Saaz (2 min)

I did close to this recipe - very nice!
I think everything went well. I collected 6.75 gallons at 1.036 pre boil. I have a couple of questions:

1) I mashed 11 Quarts at 165 degrees. My target mash temperature was 150. I measured it at 147. Is this a big deal? How can I adjust Beersmith to take into account what actually happened?

You need to adjust your water temperature to get the mash temperature you need. Also put some 140 - 180 degree water in the tun to pre-heat it. You can also add some really hot water or ice cold water to adjust your temperature. The less the better. Due to the lower temperature you will get a slightly drier beer than intended. Not a really big deal.

2) I was expecting .5 gallons boil off per hour (according to Beersmith). I actually experienced about 2 gallons per hour. I have a shorter, wider kettle vs a higher, narrower kettle. I assume this is why? Does 2 gallons per hour seem like a lot? I measured after cooling...

I get about 2 gallons boil off in an hour. I collect a little over 7 gallons for a little over 5 going into the fermenter.

3) Assuming I keep boiling off at 2 gallons per hour, would you recommend sparging more and boiling the full volume to get to my target at the end, or topping up at the end of the boil (which is what I did this time).

I would only top up after checking your OG. If it is high = top up. If it is not I would leave it alone. Best would be to work on your boil off rate and you should not have to top up.

4) When transferring from my boil kettle to my fermenter, should I be looking to leave all the hops behind? I used pellet hops. Should I put them in a bag to make this easier? Or should I just transfer them to my fermenter and not worry about it (which is what I did).

I bag my hops in a 5 gallon paint strainer bag, clipped to the rim, so that I don't get too much into the fermenter. You can let them settle while cooling, whirlpool or just not worry about them. They will settle in the fermenter, but you will lose some volume.

After my boil, I had 4.75 gallons, so I added another .75 gallons to get to 5.5 and measured an OG of 1.042, for a measured efficiency of 79.8%. I think this will turn out really well, and I am very excited to drink it!

I don't recall the recipe's OG, but I think with the low mash temperature you will get a slightly drier beer. It should be very good.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Work on your mash temperature and preboil volume and you will have things dialed in. It seems you are off to a good start in all grain brewing.

I think that if you are boiling off 2 gallons in an hour you are probably boiling too vigorously. Turn the heat down until you have a slow rolling boil and see what you get. With my turkey fryer pot (tall and narrow) I can limit the boil off to about half a gallon.

I think that if you are boiling off 2 gallons in an hour you are probably boiling too vigorously. Turn the heat down until you have a slow rolling boil and see what you get. With my turkey fryer pot (tall and narrow) I can limit the boil off to about half a gallon.

I would agree with this. I lowed the boil temps after my first couple AG batches and had less loss due to boil.

Thanks for the replies so far, all! In terms of the boil off volume, now that I know what it is, I can adjust for it up front by adding more water.

In terms of hitting the mash temperature - Beersmith tole me to add 11 quarts of water at 165 degrees. Since I did this but missed my target by 3 degrees, is it as simple as adding water at 168?

What if I was adding more grain? Would I need to increase the temperature more than 3 degrees?

Is there a way to tell Beersmith my actual results so it can correct for my equipment in the future?

You are fine. Shorter wider pots tend have more boil off volume, so you can learn and adjust for future batches. If you are batch sparging I highly recommend looking up the Denny Conn method. It takes so much stress out of the all grain brewing process.

Thanks for this, good to know. I was actually fly sparging. I sparged for about an hour, and by the end there was basically no sugar in the water, so I think I got everything out I needed to.

This is not necessarily true. With my pot and burner turned as low as it will go I get a fairly consistent 2 gallons boil off in an hour. But just a slow rolling boil is the right aim.

With our 10 gallon Igloo mash tun, we determined it loses about 6* when the strike water is added, so we add 6* to the temperature we're heating the water to - also the temp of the grain has some bearing, are you checking that as well?

We were using bags for the hops, but quit doing it and just run the wort through a sieve on its way into the carboy. That takes out the big pieces anyway. The rest pretty well settles into the trub during the 2 to 3 weeks the beer is in the primary. (We don't do secondary any more, usually.)

We used to top up the fermenter but now using the online tools for figuring out the proper temps and volumes, we can get more than enough for 5.5 gallons into the fermenter - we usually end up with maybe half a quart to a quart in the brew kettle.

It's a fun learning process and once you have things dialed in for YOUR equipment, takes a lot of the stress out of the equation. Brew days around here have actually become pretty much fun and not too much stress!

The recipe sounds good! Can't wait for your review.

If you add more grain you would need to use hotter what, but only if you use the same amount of water. Normally with more grain you add more strike water to keep the same water:grist ratio.

Your best bet is simply to increase your water temp by the amount you missed your target and use that as your future reference for bringing your MLT up to temp.

For the most part if you stick with the same ratio you can go on auto-pilot after a few runs: I always use 169F strike water for my setup and hit my 154-155 target.

With that high of a boiloff you'd rather add more water before. If you're under volume after boil and you leave some in the kettle you're leaving behind concentrated sugars and putting plain water in the fermenter. If you add the water to the kettle you dilute it before you leave those behind.

Thanks for the replies so far, all! In terms of the boil off volume, now that I know what it is, I can adjust for it up front by adding more water.

In terms of hitting the mash temperature - Beersmith tole me to add 11 quarts of water at 165 degrees. Since I did this but missed my target by 3 degrees, is it as simple as adding water at 168?

What if I was adding more grain? Would I need to increase the temperature more than 3 degrees?

Is there a way to tell Beersmith my actual results so it can correct for my equipment in the future?

Yes, it's as simple as adding water at 168. You have to tailor it to your system. My rig loses ~17° from HLT after transferring to the MLT and stirring thoroughly, so I just add 17° to my target mash temp.

No, typically you do not have to add more heat when you add more grains, since you're adding more water which adds more thermal mass.

I suppose there is a way to tell Beersmith to adjust accordingly, but I just always know to add 17° to my target mash temp, so I don't really depend on Beersmith for that anymore.

Yes, it's as simple as adding water at 168. You have to tailor it to your system. My rig loses ~17° from HLT after transferring to the MLT and stirring thoroughly, so I just add 17° to my target mash temp.

No, typically you do not have to add more heat when you add more grains, since you're adding more water which adds more thermal mass.

I suppose there is a way to tell Beersmith to adjust accordingly, but I just always know to add 17° to my target mash temp, so I don't really depend on Beersmith for that anymore.

I was assuming that since you were using the same water to grain ratio, the amount of the grain didn't matter. That's good to confirm it. Also, good to know its linear, and I can just add 3 degrees. Thanks for the info!!

First off make sure in your recipe you had the check box on the mash page to "Adjust Temp for Equip".

Now if you had that clicked.....go to your recipe you used in Beersmith and change the mash target temp to 147 F...which is what you actually measured. Now you need to go into your Equipment Profile that you used for the recipe and adjust the mash tun weight until the strike water temperature matches what you actually used......you will have to go back and forth a few times probably by trial and error. Once you do this......your equipment in Beersmith will now be calibrated to your actual equipment.

Also remember that you will need to enter the correct grain temperature and mash tun temperature on the Mash page the day of the brew session. I stick my thermometer into my grain bag and read a temp after it settles. For my mash tun I like to fill it with water and let it set for 15 minutes or so....take the temp of the water...and that is the temp of the mash tun to enter....dump out the water just before you are ready to do your mash so that the cooler is at the temperature your calcs are based on when you dump in your strike water and grains.

Now just for fun you can go back into recipe and change your target mash temp to 150F,......and you will see what your strike water temp should have been....not to mention you will be very close now in future...I am usually right on

Beer smith will also tell you how much boiling water (or cold water) to add if you miss your target temp. There are some nice calculators in there.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

First off make sure in your recipe you had the check box on the mash page to "Adjust Temp for Equip".

Now if you had that clicked.....go to your recipe you used in Beersmith and change the mash target temp to 147 F...which is what you actually measured. Now you need to go into your Equipment Profile that you used for the recipe and adjust the mash tun weight until the strike water temperature matches what you actually used......you will have to go back and forth a few times probably by trial and error. Once you do this......your equipment in Beersmith will now be calibrated to your actual equipment.

Also remember that you will need to enter the correct grain temperature and mash tun temperature on the Mash page the day of the brew session. I stick my thermometer into my grain bag and read a temp after it settles. For my mash tun I like to fill it with water and let it set for 15 minutes or so....take the temp of the water...and that is the temp of the mash tun to enter....dump out the water just before you are ready to do your mash so that the cooler is at the temperature your calcs are based on when you dump in your strike water and grains.

Now just for fun you can go back into recipe and change your target mash temp to 150F,......and you will see what your strike water temp should have been....not to mention you will be very close now in future...I am usually right on

Perfect! I changed my weight from 10 to 20lbs and it worked perfectly! Thanks for the tip!!

Roger that. I'll be brewing this upcoming Friday. I'm doing a Russian Imperial Stout.

Did a Russian Imperial today, as planned. Came away with a bit too much water pre-boil, as I misread my sparge water volume. Ended up with 9 gallons so I added 20 minutes to the boil, for an 80 minute boil. My last runnings were still at 1.022 so I think I'm good. 5.9 gallons after the boil at 1.090. Around 5.5 into the fermenter. Measured my efficiency at 81.4% this time, very close to last time, so consistency is there, even for the big brews.

Missed my mash temp by only 1 degree this time, so that's good.

Everything else went pretty well.

The color on this stuff is amazing. I can't wait for this one to be done!

Back