pumpkin stuck sparge , slimy wort??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacenwaves

Reaction score
hey whats up, i searched for this and didnt find anything on here, so hopefully i didnt miss the thread , creating a repeat...

anyway, i made a strong pumpkin yesterday, and wanted to use fresh pumpkin... which turned out to be a bust, so was forced to use canned (4.5 lbs, roasted for a bit) and added ONTOP of the grains in my mash.... I also added graham crackers, about 1.5 lbs.... i did this same recipe last year and it worked great with fresh pumpkin, this time around, not so much....

mashout went great, (batch) sparge got stuck... probably should have added water a bit slower... so i had to dump the mash tun into buckets, fix the false bottom, refill, and run it again....

i found the best way to keep it flowing was to use a paddle, constantly 'sweeping' the false bottom, keeping it clear... which pretty much dissolved the pumpkin, distributing it throughout the grain....

I was able to recover most of my wort, brewed the batch as usual, which went fine... until i cooled and tasted it... it had a slimy mouthfeel, almost like honey.....

Im wondering if anyone else has had this with canned pumpkin before? as I mentioned, it is going to be strong (1.090), 15 lbs of grain, plus the 2 lbs of brown sugar, any pumpkin sugars, and any cracker sugars...

is the slimy mouthfeel pumpkin that snuck into the boil due to the sparge, or do you think it is just a syrupy wort?? if it is due to the pumpkin, will this fall out of suspension eventually?

Thanks for any input :)

dang pumpkin ale that i didnt even really want to brew..... curse the masses for wanting it haha!

Latest posts

Back