Problem with advanced mash temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbernhardt

Reaction score
I have a Ranco digital controller and probe. It is used to turn a heating element on and off inside the mash tun, which is a 10 gallon igloo. I have a ciruclation pump which runs constantly, and the probe is measuring the temperature of the wort exiting the tank and into the pump. I have the controller differential set to 1 degree F. The heating element heats the liquid approximately 2 degrees F/minute.

My problem is that the probe seems to be too slow to adjust to temperature changes. When measuring with a calibrated thermometer, I am finding that because of this, the temperature may climb 4-5 degrees before the probe finally figures out that my target has been reached. Obviously this is far too much.

Is this normal or is this one defective? I can't find any documentation which indicates what the expected time should be. Is there another probe which may be more responsive to temperature changes? I have looked on line for alternatives but the reference temp and calibrations scales don't match up so they are useless.

I have a Ranco digital controller and probe. It is used to turn a heating element on and off inside the mash tun, which is a 10 gallon igloo. I have a ciruclation pump which runs constantly, and the probe is measuring the temperature of the wort exiting the tank and into the pump. I have the controller differential set to 1 degree F. The heating element heats the liquid approximately 2 degrees F/minute.

My problem is that the probe seems to be too slow to adjust to temperature changes. When measuring with a calibrated thermometer, I am finding that because of this, the temperature may climb 4-5 degrees before the probe finally figures out that my target has been reached. Obviously this is far too much.

Is this normal or is this one defective? I can't find any documentation which indicates what the expected time should be. Is there another probe which may be more responsive to temperature changes? I have looked on line for alternatives but the reference temp and calibrations scales don't match up so they are useless.

If you just have an element in the mash it's just going to heat up around it. You need to make a RIMS tube up for your element and then pump the mash through the tube to heat it. As it enters the mash it will heat up the mash. Your probe is in the right place. It is still going to take a long time to raise your mash temps this way, that's why RIMS systems use a stainless mash tun with flame under it. The flame will raise temps much quicker and the element just maintains the temp once you reach it.

But if I'm constantly circulating the wort- it goes out the bottom and back in the top- shouldn't I end up with a pretty even temperature? I'm not trying to heat the mash from cold this way, I'm just trying to maintain the temp.

The element is a 4000 watt 240V low-density element running at 120V, which means it's only producing 1000W of heat and I promise you it doesn't burn the grain.

The problem is that the probe is too slow to respond- it takes several minutes to register minor temperature changes.

Acidrain, the mash heats just fine. The probe takes a long time to change while a digital thermometer in the mash shows the actual temperature.

shtoive87, they are not in exactly the same spot, but even if I stir the mash and then check, the difference is there. I put a switch on the heating element so that I can turn it off when I know the temp is too high (it also helps when I'm sparging so I don't start heating drained grain). Eventually the probe catches up with the thermometer.

Back