Partial Mash, Full Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billymeter

Reaction score
Today I am doing a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout Clone partial mash recipe. It's the kit from AHS. This is my first time trying to do a partial mash with a full boil. I've got a few AG batches under my belt and it looks like the mash schedule is different from the directions AHS gave and the general 1.25qt water per pound mashing amount.

The instructions say to mash 3.44 lbs of grain in about 2.5 gallons of water and then sparge with another 3.5 qts of water. This is incredibly "soupy" and not like a "porridge."

I've been Googling around and it looks like there are no guidelines for doing a partial mash with a full boil. Everything I found assumes the brewer is going to be doing a partial boil.

So, oh wise wizards of HBT, do you suggest I do? Mash as if I was doing a small AG or just follow the instructions AHS gave and then top off with water up to 6 gallons and add LME? Thanks in advance guys.

Today I am doing a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout Clone partial mash recipe. It's the kit from AHS. This is my first time trying to do a partial mash with a full boil. I've got a few AG batches under my belt and it looks like the mash schedule is different from the directions AHS gave and the general 1.25qt water per pound mashing amount.

The instructions say to mash 3.44 lbs of grain in about 2.5 gallons of water and then sparge with another 3.5 qts of water. This is incredibly "soupy" and not like a "porridge."

I've been Googling around and it looks like there are no guidelines for doing a partial mash with a full boil. Everything I found assumes the brewer is going to be doing a partial boil.

So, oh wise wizards of HBT, do you suggest I do? Mash as if I was doing a small AG or just follow the instructions AHS gave and then top off with water up to 6 gallons and add LME? Thanks in advance guys.

I'd mash with 1.5 quarts per pound (5.16 quarts- call it 5.25). Then sparge with 1.5 gallons of water (approximately .5 gallons per pound of grain). Then top up to your boil volume, add the LME and continue.

I'd mash with 1.5 quarts per pound (5.16 quarts- call it 5.25). Then sparge with 1.5 gallons of water (approximately .5 gallons per pound of grain). Then top up to your boil volume, add the LME and continue.

Thanks for the advice Yooper, I'll do that. Cheers :drunk:

Latest posts

Back