Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pale Stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default Pale Stout?

So there's black IPAs and schwartzbiers, is it at all possible going the opposite way and making a pale stout or a "white" porter? Are there grains that provide the roasty flavors that do not impart the darker coloring?

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Festbier (ECY15), Oaked Brett Saison Primary: Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), Oaked Brett Saison on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/09/27
Untappd: barrooze

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
jamesnsw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know some people cold steep darker malts to get the color without the flavor- could you maybe cold steep the grains, pitch the colored water, and then steep the grains, hopefully getting the flavor, minus the color? That would be a mind game, that's for sure.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 12-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
barrooze
Recipes 

I will definitely try this out on a very small scale. Thanks for the idea!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Festbier (ECY15), Oaked Brett Saison Primary: Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), Oaked Brett Saison on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/09/27

Old 12-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Definitely let me know how it turns out!

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale

Old 01-19-2011, 02:52 AM   #5
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Barrooze- any chance you've given this a try?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
barrooze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnsw View Post
Barrooze- any chance you've given this a try?
Not yet, but I think I'll be heading to my LHBS this week for a planned brew on Saturday. I'll pick up some toasty/roasty grains then and run some tests.

I'll try out the cold steeping and late mashing, but what I think will work best is mashing unmilled grain. Here're my thoughts: carafa special is huskless grain that gives color and no/little roasty. I want the opposite (roasty and little color). So how do I JUST get the husks (as it seems they hold those flavors)? I was thinking just using unmilled grain may give closer to the desired results. I
Was also thinking a short, hot mash may impart the least amount of color.

What do you guys think about those theories? I'll let you know what I find! Thanks for the interest!

Old 01-19-2011, 04:17 AM   #7
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I can't really see how it would work. The flavors are a by-product of the color. If you remove the color, you've stripped the bits that were actually roasted, which is where the flavor comes from.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigi View Post
I can't really see how it would work. The flavors are a by-product of the color. If you remove the color, you've stripped the bits that were actually roasted, which is where the flavor comes from.
This is kind of my worry as well. But then, why does it work to cold soak dark grains to get the color without the flavor?

I'm also assuming that the cold soak wouldn't remove all of the color- so you're more likely to get a brown beer, not a blonde beer.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
pulptastic
Recipes 

I imagine much of the color is in the husk. Maybe find a way to dehusk the grains after roasting? Then you could hopefully have roasty flavored grain innards to add flavor and sugar to your brew.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Tea bags?

This could be a good idea, or a horrible idea, but what if you looked at things other than roasted barley to give you that bitter (roasted bitter, not hop bitter) flavor. I honestly see no way that you can use roasted grains and get the flavor without the color. So, what if you used something like black tea to give you that astringency. Maybe tea bags in the mash? When you think about what a cup of tea tastes like (without sweetener) it really has an astringent bite, but does not have a ton of color. However, I am not sure how many bags you would need to use to impart the flavor you are looking for.

Again, I would use a very small batch for experimenting with this.

Quick Reply