Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is it ok to add water to Mash?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #11
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Yoop, I hate to do it, but I'm gonna have to take issue with your answer. I can't count the number of times I've added water to my 15 year old cooler and I've never had a problem with cracking. Of course, that's not to say that others haven't had problems, but I don't think it's a given.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Yoop, I hate to do it, but I'm gonna have to take issue with your answer. I can't count the number of times I've added water to my 15 year old cooler and I've never had a problem with cracking. Of course, that's not to say that others haven't had problems, but I don't think it's a given.
Really? Thanks for the correction. Maybe my Igloo coolers have a different plastic or something inside.

When my first one cracked, the water wasn't quite boiling. But it was probably 200+ degrees, and it cracked and ruined it. But every time since (with a new cooler), keeping the water at 180 or less meant no warping and cracking. I've now had the same Igloo cooler for about 6 years, and I still use it when I'm not using my bigger stainless keg MLT.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Maybe it's something to do with Igloo. I use a Rubbermaid. But AFAIK, they're all made of HDPE.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
nbrack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 16

OK, just finished my 2nd batch all grain. Plugged the numbers into Beersmith based on the last batch and added almost boiling water to the cooler for about 20 minutes while heating up the strike water. I hit everything almost perfectly! My SG and OG were within .001 and my volumes were very close as well! Thanks everyone for the tips and I am feeling much more confident with AG brewing!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #15
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You can also use a heatstick or bucket warmer to tweak your strike water higher right in the cooler if you need to. If I'm low on propane I heat my strike water with the heatstick...just keep the element off the cooler wall

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-21-2012, 01:20 AM   #16
nbrack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've been heating my strike and sparge water in the kitchen using a couple stock pots. Trying to save on propane and much more convenient in the house this time of year (especially during this blizzard!). Today everything hit perfectly but I did have a couple extra gallons on stand by in case I had the same problem from a couple weeks ago.

Quick Reply