Nuts in my brew!!! (not those nuts!!!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierbrauer

Reaction score
Anyone ever include nuts in your brew?? I am looking to make a nut brown ale and would like to add some hazelnuts and a few others to increase the nutty character. I was thinking of giving them a light toasting before using them in the brew, maybe at the end of the boil??

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This has been discussed lots of times on the forums. I'd suggest doing a search.

I think the consensus is that the oil will kill your head, but if you don't mind that...then go for it. Use them in the mash.

Adding a little lecithin to the boil will take care of any problems the nut oils will cause with head retention. I haven't tried this with nut oils, but I was able to overcome the negative affects of 6 Tbsp of cooking oil in the mash by adding 2 Tbsp of lecithin (liquid). This beer has a perfectly normal head

Sorry to all. Should have done a search first and asked later!!! Won`t make the same mistake again...

Louie would be proud

the_state_louie_mtv.jpg

Latest posts

Back