Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Northern Brewer Grain is not looking so good

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
two_one_seven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm willing to bet the guy running the grain crusher and NB does know a thing or two about brewing. The vast majority of the employees are homebrewers. I've seen a video of the keezer that they keep in the break room for employees to bring in their kegged homebrews to sample.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorBock View Post
No reason to post like this if you haven't even given them the chance to make it right.
Post like what? The grain isn't crushed right and a lot of posts lately have made reference to NB and grain concerns. I made no deragatory remarks, I very much like Northern Brewer and will continue to shop there in the future. If myself and many others are experiencing concerns with grain crush, it is most certainly a topic that should be discussed.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #13
Mikethepoolguy
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 15 Posts

If you can control it, or otherwise know it's consistent, then you have control. Otherwise you brew mystery beer.

Wahoo Hunter

Old 03-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #14
BeerguyNC61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 10

So Beerfly ,
Have you contacted Northern Brewer yet? What have they said about the poor service?
It would be a real bummer if they just blow you off....

Old 03-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #15
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, I have contacted them and expect a reply tomorrow. I told them I enjoy dealing with them and will continue, but wanted to give them a heads up.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #16
Mikethepoolguy
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 15 Posts

My comments sometimes sound harsh, but I bet if you had a ' off the record' conversation with a hbs they would say that milling grain for customers is a pita and they wish everyone had their own mill. (even if they do charge extra).

Wahoo Hunter

Old 03-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #17
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfly View Post
Post like what? The grain isn't crushed right and a lot of posts lately have made reference to NB and grain concerns. I made no deragatory remarks, I very much like Northern Brewer and will continue to shop there in the future. If myself and many others are experiencing concerns with grain crush, it is most certainly a topic that should be discussed.
A lot? I did a search came up with one from 2/10/12 for BIAB. It mentioned the same issue you had which is adjusting for a non-husked grain. Please post up some links.

Did you get your issue fixed? Mistakes happen but they can not be fixed unless the person making it knows they are making a mistake. I want to hear what they did to fix your issue which is much more important.

I see you did contact them I assume email, call them it's way faster........

Old 03-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #18
BeerguyNC61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Getting ready to dive into all grain for the first time and will be buying all the gear. A grain mill is on the list of must have items.

I hope NB keeps you as a "happy" customer and sends to a better crush....

Brew-on.......

Old 03-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #19
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c View Post
+1 on the grind. Northern Brewer does a very poor job of grinding their grain IMHO. My first AG kit from them I didn't re-grind the grain, and I ended up with a very poor efficiency and missed my OG by 4 points on the low side. The second kit I purchased at the same time as the first as they shipped together and my buddy re-ground for me. My buddy took one look at the bag and said that the grind was definitely the problem. I hit over 82% efficiency batch sparging and 4 points high on the OG on the second kit we re-ground. I am going to buy the Barley Grinder and grind myself from now on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adworld View Post
I am new and only have done 2 AG batches both were kits from NB. I am starting to think my issues with efficiency (54% and 64%) are a result of bad crush from NB.

my water ph is fine and always nailed mash temps w a calibrated thermometer. leads me to believe that NB crush maybe the culprit.

Here's a couple, I'm not looking for any more. I stand by my post and was not being malicious towards NB.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #20
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

[Edit]: Nevermind...

Primary: Pliney the Elder Clone
Kegged: Tank 7 / Saison Brett

http://untappd.com/abbayeduchatnoir