Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Need help with new kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
number2320
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Need help with new kettle

Hello. I have lurked on the boards for over a year now, but am now posting because I need some advice on choosing between 3 brew kettles.

I will be using this for AG's. I will be doing these in my kitchen on newer 5 burner natural gas stove (I live in a townhouse)...sometimes I will be able to use a propane burner when I brew at my friends, but 80% of the time in my kitchen.

1) 2 Weld SS 15 gallon w/therm & ball valve $185 shipped http://www.homebrewing.org/2-Weld-15...ot_p_2756.html - at least I could have the option of 10g batches at my friends, and wont have to worry about boil overs in my kitchen. but is this just too big?

2) 2 weld SS 9 gallon w/therm & ball valve $138 shipped.http://www.homebrewing.org/2-WELD-9-...t-_p_1684.html I am afraid this will be too small and I will outgrow it/boilovers, but i do like the price and 2 welds.

3) 10.5 gallon SS with stainless stell ball valve $126 shipped.http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/42-qt-...ss-ball-valve/ this is nice, but I would prefer a two weld.

I have been trying to decide for the past 2 weeks with no luck...

I think if there was a 10.5 gallon two weld in these price ranges I would choose that without a doubt...

Thanks in advance for any input

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I say go big or go home! Get the 15 gallon so you don't have to worry about a new brew pot if you move up to 10 gallon batches. Saw a friend at Big Brew Day at our local brew shop with a 15 and while it looks huge, it was awesome!

I have the 9 gallon and use a propane burner and I find that I am still close to the top when I brew. I usually start with a 7.5-8 gallon pre-boil because of boil off and cool down loss, therefore have to ALWAYS be on the watch for a boil over.

10.5 gallon also good if you stay at 5 gallon batches, but if you every think of going 10, then it's took small.

Member of the Metro South Homebrew League (Mash-Holes) - Weymouth, MA

Primary - California Common
Secondary - Empty
Kegged - 1774 Porter
Bottled - California Common (2nd place, 2014 OSHC).

Old 06-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I would agree. Saving $60 now seems like a good thing, but then you'll be shelling out $185 ON TOP of whatever you get now if you go smaller. So, save $60 now, spend $185 later = +$125 or get the $185 15g. pot now and SAVE $126.

Sorry if that's not clear:

$126
+$185
_______
$311

Or just $185 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
codycodycody
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Agreed. Spend a little more now, and you won't have a stockpile of unused junk later.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
number2320
Recipes 

I like the "go big or go home" mantra....And nobody thinks the stove top would be an issue with the 15 gallon pot? I would only be doing 5 gallon batches on the stove.

If not I am pulling the trigger tonight...

Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2320 View Post
I like the "go big or go home" mantra....And nobody thinks the stove top would be an issue with the 15 gallon pot? I would only be doing 5 gallon batches on the stove.

If not I am pulling the trigger tonight...
Well, every stove is different. There's no guarantee how much water you can boil, but check the dimensions of the pots and see if the larger one can either fit evenly over your burner or straddle two burners.

The other option is that if it won't boil for some reason on your stove, throw a bucket-heater in it and it will surely boil with stove+BH.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2320 View Post

2) 2 weld SS 9 gallon w/therm & ball valve $138 shipped.http://www.homebrewing.org/2-WELD-9-...t-_p_1684.html I am afraid this will be too small and I will outgrow it/boilovers, but i do like the price and 2 welds.
I have this exact setup and love it. The 9g is perfect size for 5g batches (6.5-7.5g boils), especially with foam control (Fermcap-S). But I have no intention of moving to 10g batches.

No idea if a kitchen stove can handle a 10g batch, but a lot of people can barely handle a 5g batch on their stove. Check burner power & ventilation.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
I have this exact setup and love it. The 9g is perfect size for 5g batches (6.5-7.5g boils), especially with foam control (Fermcap-S). But I have no intention of moving to 10g batches.

No idea if a kitchen stove can handle a 10g batch, but a lot of people can barely handle a 5g batch on their stove. Check burner power & ventilation.
Oh, there's almost no question the stove can't handle a 10g. batch, but when he get's to that point he can throw a turkey burner outside and easily solve that. In the meantime there's a good chance the stove can boil ~7g. in a 15g. pot but there's no guarantee.

Is it a gas stove? Electric? Glass top?

The 15g. pot is probably 16" wide I'd guess. Will that straddle two burners?

Quote:

Old 06-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #9
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

In reading threads like this over and over, if the kettle cannot straddle two burners you will not be able to adequately boil full 5 gallon batches, much less anything bigger.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 06-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #10
number2320
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Well, every stove is different. There's no guarantee how much water you can boil, but check the dimensions of the pots and see if the larger one can either fit evenly over your burner or straddle two burners.

The other option is that if it won't boil for some reason on your stove, throw a bucket-heater in it and it will surely boil with stove+BH.
I have a 2 year old stove with a powerful "quick boil" burner. I am pretty sure I can straddle the two burners.

I feel dumb for saying this, but what is a bucket heater? I have not heard that mentioned before on the boards...

Quick Reply