My first Chocolate all Grain Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigler-bier

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
So, I was recently in Oaxaca, Mexico and I brought back some pure cacao beans already mashed up into a solid chunk of cacao. I decided I want to make a dark chocolaty beer. With the ingredients I have laying around I brewed something up and I'm not sure if it is a Dunkelweizen or a Stout.

This is the recipe:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale S-04
Yeast Starter: none
Batch Size (liters) : 20
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity:

1.5 kg German Dark Wheat
1.5 kg German Caramel Wheat
1 kg Caramel Rye
.5 kg Roasted Rye
1.5 kg 2 row Barley

Mash in: 15lt 60 min(63-68*) Mash out: 7lt 10min (75-80*)
Sparge: 10lt (77*)

Boil:
Northern Brewer 30g 60min
Tettnanger 20g 30min
Tettnanger 20g 10 min
Oaxacan Cacao (pure) 150g 0min
Milk Sugar(Lactose) 200g 0min
Safale S-04 Yeast

Its fermenting pretty good at the moment with a blow of tube...
Would this be a Dunkelweizen?? Or maybe a Stout? Cause the color is really dark and creamy...

Cheers my fellow beer lovers!

Nice, sounds good. It would not be a stout in the sense of the BJCP guidelines as wheat and rye are not common stout ingredients. My thought was it would fall under 6B...American Wheat or Rye...but under that in the guidelines it states: "Dark versions approximating dunkelweizens
(with darker, richer malt flavors in addition to the color) should be
entered in the Specialty Beer category".

Of course, if you are not entering in a competition you can call it what ever you want! :)

I think you might not end up with something drinkable once its done. As it is, that percent wheat/rye is going to give you a mucusy beer that will feel Like drinking nyquil. Also you've got almost 50% specialty grains. You really need to cut that waaaaay down in the future. Even stouts generally have 20% specialty malts at most. Hopefully after months in the bottle it will mellow out

Trust me, you definitely do not want to keep brewing with those general proportions. I've got snotty beer with a bit over 30% rye

First of all, I've been drinking.. So, here it goes... I'm quite intrigued about both of the responses. Really hope that the first one is more in the point that i was going for but maybe the second response is more realistic. So what kind of adjustments should I make??? Assuming it will turn out to be so kind if drowsy cough medicine????

However if it turns out good I promise to send a bottle to any one who gave a ****. Cheers myy fellow brew gods!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't allways listen to the naysayers.
If nobody ever expirimented in brewing nothing new would ever be made.
As a general rule though, most beer styles are rougly 80% base malt or higher.
Rye has been said to become viscous (snotty) in the mash and therefore makes for stuck sparges. However having not used it myself (yet) can't say how it will affect the mouthfeel of a beer. The rye whiskeys i've had do seem to have an oily mouthfeel to them rather than snotty. I personally like heavy mouthfeel beers.
Ragardless let us know how it turns out, Worst thing that could come from it is that you have a batch of beer!

I'm not as worried about the overall percentages of wheat and rye but rather the percentages of those that are caramel. You're at about 42%, so it may come out pretty sweet. Cutting that down to more like 10% would be my vote for future adjustments. If you want to use a large percentage of rye or wheat malt as your base I think that's fine, Roggenbiers are typically 50-60% rye after all. I've made a beer that was 48% wheat/25 % rye/27% barley before and it was quite tasty.

Back