My APA is coming along nicrly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Brewed it the 8th...it went crazy in the bucket airlock I have coming off the keg for 3 days...it slowed to a stop (temp got a little low and I warmed it up) now it is kinda going off again. You guys ever have a beer that started wildly, stopped and started again?

Lower temp will slow the yeast down. Warmer temp will get them active again.

How low was "a little low"? And what temp did you warm it back up to?

The recipe calls for 60's fermentation...the guys at my LBHS suggested 68* as a good temp. I used three packets of Safale-04 (Mr Malty called for 5...LBHS guys said 2...I settled for 3) for a 10 gallon batch.

I have been keeping it at 68* constant with the help of my SWMBO and a fish tank heater in a big bucket. I forgot to plug in the heater the other night and it got to 59*....I dumped the water and dumped water heater water into the bucket and got it to 73* and cooled it with ice bottles to 69* where she sits now.

It almost seems as if it likes to sit at 68*-69*...the most activity in the airlock at this temp.

What do you think?

Thanks
Joe

Yep. That'll do it. Won't quite send the yeast dormant but it'll slow them down, and then going back up will kick them into a higher gear again. I like 63-65 as a good temp for the water since the beer will be a few degrees higher.

Back