Moving up to all grain I small batches. Few ideas for biab hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustinj

Reaction score
I have an IPA 1 gallon recipie ready to go. I'm going biab in my 5 gal pot with. As most of us here I'm tinkerer and builder. I have a keggle to use as an HLT. I have a 3 gallon cooler. Bubba keg it's called. I want to mash in it for 1 gallon brews. Going to use mesh bag instead of false bottom. So here's my thoughts.

Heat 5 gals water to strike 160 deg.
Grain bill is 2.25 lb, move 1 gallon to mlt and mash in at 152 for 50 mins
Mash out at 165 for 10 mins
Sparge with 1 gallon
Full boil for 60 mins. I expect a full gallon boil off. Could be wrong. Won't know till I get there.

Like I said I'm an all grain noob. And probably making it harder but eventually I will get to a 3 keggle brewery with pumps and all the bells and whistles.

Thanks
Dustin

How fine is the grain milled? You can mill it very fine for BIAB and if you do you won't need a 50 minute mash. I've been mashing for only 30 minutes and get full conversion. You also won't need to do a mashout when you do BIAB. You only need that for fly sparging when it will take you a fair length of time to sparge.

I'm careful with the heat I give my boiling wort and only boil off half a gallon. You only need enough heat to keep a slow rolling boil. Anything more and you're just boiling water into steam.

This batch is double milled it will be full on biab. This is an extra hoppy IPA. My lhbs instructions are 50 min mash to 60 min boil. Starting with 3/4 gallon and doing a was/spare into the bk to bring it to 1.5 gallon

I have an IPA 1 gallon recipie ready to go. I'm going biab in my 5 gal pot with. As most of us here I'm tinkerer and builder. I have a keggle to use as an HLT. I have a 3 gallon cooler. Bubba keg it's called. I want to mash in it for 1 gallon brews. Going to use mesh bag instead of false bottom. So here's my thoughts.

Heat 5 gals water to strike 160 deg.
Grain bill is 2.25 lb, move 1 gallon to mlt and mash in at 152 for 50 mins
Mash out at 165 for 10 mins
Sparge with 1 gallon
Full boil for 60 mins. I expect a full gallon boil off. Could be wrong. Won't know till I get there.

Like I said I'm an all grain noob. And probably making it harder but eventually I will get to a 3 keggle brewery with pumps and all the bells and whistles.

Thanks
Dustin

What are you going to do w/the other 3 gallons?
Since you have a 5 gallon pot why not go for 2 gallon batches? You can get 3 six packs that way
I mash w/about 2.75 gallons, no mash out and no sparge
I wind up w/about 1.9 gallons in a 2 gallon paint bucket to ferment.
Put your grain bag in a collendar and w/2 coffee cups press every last drop you can out of the grain.
Same effort same time involved. Only more work at bottling time. :) :drunk:

Yea that's true. 2 gallons would be easy. I have the 2 gal fermenter already. Ill do that next time. Mainly I'm a beer nerd and want to say I have a mash tun but don't want to pay for converted coolers yet. I have a little 3 gallon I don't use but I played with it last night. It is too small. Gonna get a few all grain biab's under my belt while I get my keggles and stand built.

Thanks.

I do 3 gal all grain batches in a 3 gallon gatorade cooler with a bag. Boil in my old 5 gallon pot. Those 4.25 gal buckets that frosting and filling come in are perfect for fermenting, you can probably get some free from a local donut shop.

Sweet. I'm going to see how much space my grains take up in my 3 gallon cooler tonight. May do a 3 gal batch next weekend.

I BIAB 2 1/2 gallon batches in my 5 gallon pot (20 qt stainless). I don't need a cooler at all for it. I get my grains milled really fine and do a 30 minute mash and usually lose less than a degree during that mash.

It sounds like you are overcomplicating it. If you are doing BIAB, just mash in your boil kettle. I do everything in just 1 10 gallon pot for 5.5 gallon batches. The whole point of BIAB is that you don't need anything else and you'll still get outstanding results.

As for batch size, I'm an older guy with a wife and 3 kids. I don't have big parties, have an occasional friend over, and frequently drink wine or mixed drinks over beer. I still go through my keg quick enough that it is done before I'm ready to brew again. To me anything smaller than 5 isn't worth it as it takes nearly the same time. 10 gallons though would be too much of the same beer, although the last few I made I wish I had more of.

Back