Mesh size for bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenBoneBrew

Reaction score
I'm wondering what size the mesh is for the bags that one typical buys at the LHBS. At mine, there is a large and fine size mesh that comes in two different bag sizes. I've seen people talk about getting Nylon voile curtains and sheets, but that still leaves me wondering what size the mesh is.

Are there mesh sizes for different applications?

I'm wondering what size the mesh is for the bags that one typical buys at the LHBS. At mine, there is a large and fine size mesh that comes in two different bag sizes. I've seen people talk about getting Nylon voile curtains and sheets, but that still leaves me wondering what size the mesh is.

Are there mesh sizes for different applications?

don't know what the mesh size is but many of us BIABers use 5 gallon paint strainer bags from places like HDepot.

don't know what the mesh size is but many of us BIABers use 5 gallon paint strainer bags from places like HDepot.

From everything that I have read, I know that paint strainer bags, voile curtains, and laundry bags work. But I'm looking to fine out what size is best of for letting good stuff through and keeping grain husks, hops debris, different herbs, and etc in the bag. Maybe there is not a big difference at all. Thoughts?

For a grain bag, you want the finest mesh you can find. Lots of material will work, and people here use everything from paint strainer bags, which usually have a slightly bigger weave, to sheer curtain material, or voile. I would go to the curtain department of your local fabric store and look in the curtain material area. They also have a lot of the same stuff in the bridal department. I would go with a polyester product. Make sure you wash it well after you make a bag, because the producer sometimes treats the fabric with chemical 'sizings' during manufacturing.

I don't think there is a 'size', per se. Voile material from different manufacturers has a different weave. I look for a fused weave, although I'm not sure if this is what it is officially called. I mean that if I grip the fabric between my thumb and forefinger and try to pull the strands away from each other, it doesn't happen or is very slight. I figure this makes for a bag that will stand up better to being full off tiny points which could try to work their way through loosely woven material. I think it will also hold rows of stitching better. In some fabrics, the weave will completely pull apart. I suppose you could actually find something that was woven too tight, so that it didn't drain well, but I think that would be the exception...

I tried to take a picture of what I have, but I'm not having any luck getting it to show any detail. If you pm me with your address, I will send you a small piece that you could take with you to a fabric store...

The home furnishings department in a big grocery store is another place to look. The one near me sells two plain voile curtain panels for $8 or so. There is plenty of material to make a bag or two; just cut out what you need and toss the rest.

Back