Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickN

Reaction score
I'm looking into making my own Mash Tun. I had assumed that I needed a false bottom, but some of the videos I have watched about making your own do not have a false bottom.

Is there a good resource where I could get more info about this?

Thanks.

There are a few different ways to approach this. The purpose of the false bottom is to create a place for grain husks to collect so they form a filter. That can be done with a manifold as mentioned above or a braid or bazooka tube or even a cloth bag. The one that is easiest to work with is the bag, made from something like Swiss Voille curtain material or nylon mesh because you can lift it up and create a much bigger filter area. In fact, if you want, you can forego the entire cooler mash tun and use the bag to mash right in the boil kettle. It's easy to do and very inexpensive and makes less items to store between brew sessions.

Get a Coleman Xtreme cooler .. I think mine is 50qt. It makes a perfect mash tun.

Line it with Voile fabric (don't need to sew it in a bag shape... just buy enough to line the mash tun with excess hanging out the sides).

Google cheap DIY mash tun to see how the plumbing is run (SUPER easy).

With this setup - you will be able to mash BIG 5-gallon batches (15lbs of grain or more with requisite water).

Back