Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > making spent grain bread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
chemman14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Default making spent grain bread

does anyone here make bread out of their spent grains? I would love to start doing this when I start doing all grain. I found this recipe online that seems like a good one to me. What are your thoughts?
http://www.ptialaska.net/~gbrady/pages/spentgrain.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've never made bread out of spent either, but I'm going to try this one out this weekend, looks good to me.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
chemman14
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatuna View Post
I've never made bread out of spent either, but I'm going to try this one out this weekend, looks good to me.
cool, let me know how it turns out

Old 01-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Yes, lots of people on here make bread, dog biscuits, and other stuff using spent grain. You might check out the cooking section of this forum.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just treat it like an All-Grain bread recipe. I use one from the bread maker recipe book and sub a cup of spent grains for the all grain in a 1 1/2 lb loaf. MIGHTY TASTY!!!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 01-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok... how do you sift out the "Husks"???

My grain bill has "TONS" of husks in it .... not sure that would make anything "Tasty"...

Old 01-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
Just treat it like an All-Grain bread recipe. I use one from the bread maker recipe book and sub a cup of spent grains for the all grain in a 1 1/2 lb loaf. MIGHTY TASTY!!!!!
+1

I thought about posting my wife's recipe, but that's pretty much how she does it. About a cup of grain subbed into a great all-grain recipe.

One thing to note, you can get different results depending upon how efficient your mash is and how much residual water is left in the mash. Just try a recipe once, then add a little bit more water or sweetener if it's too dry or not sweet enough. When I got 65% it came out perfect. When I got 80% it was a little off until we adjusted.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Assuming you could make this with spent steeping grains? Regardless I'll give it a shot next time. Sounds good.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
TokyoRoad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I make bread more often than i brew, as I get plenty of grains left over from each batch. I make up ~2-3 cup packets of grains and throw them in the freezer for when the bread urge arises.

WRT grains - Just as the darker grains darken the beer and impart stronger flavors the same happens with bread. A strictly steeping grain bread might come out very strongly flavored depending on the grains used. I tend to make the lighter grains into bread more often, most recently a 100% MO bread.

The husks are what they are, i make no effort to separate them out when baking and have not had any problems.

The above recipe calls for a 1 day prep time, IMO that is unnecessary.

1 pouch of yeast in 1 1/4 cups of water with ~1/3 cup of brown sugar. Let that sit for ~15 minutes if you wish for the yeast to get busy. Sometimes I do, others I don't and rarely notice much difference.

Turn oven to 500*

In a sturdy mixer:
2-3 cups of grains (depending on how grainy you want the bread)
~1 tbsp oil
pinch or two of salt
mix this up briefly then add the yeast/water/sugar mix.

begin adding bread flour cup by cup, it varies depending on humidity that day. Eventually it will cease to be as sticky. At this point flour the counter and dump the dough and kneed some additional flour in to reach 4-5 cups total.

Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel, and leave in a warm spot to rise 1 hour. punch dough down and let rise another hour. Cut into desired number of loaves or shapes and place on either a baking stone or a cookie sheet that has been liberally dusted with corn meal.

Once the oven has been pre-heated sufficiently (get an accurate thermometer!) put the bread in the 500* oven quickly to prevent heat drop. The lower the temp to 425 and bake ~50-60 minutes. A probe thermo can be used to check if it is done, should read ~210-215* internal.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
chemman14
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoRoad View Post
I make bread more often than i brew, as I get plenty of grains left over from each batch. I make up ~2-3 cup packets of grains and throw them in the freezer for when the bread urge arises.

WRT grains - Just as the darker grains darken the beer and impart stronger flavors the same happens with bread. A strictly steeping grain bread might come out very strongly flavored depending on the grains used. I tend to make the lighter grains into bread more often, most recently a 100% MO bread.

The husks are what they are, i make no effort to separate them out when baking and have not had any problems.

The above recipe calls for a 1 day prep time, IMO that is unnecessary.

1 pouch of yeast in 1 1/4 cups of water with ~1/3 cup of brown sugar. Let that sit for ~15 minutes if you wish for the yeast to get busy. Sometimes I do, others I don't and rarely notice much difference.

Turn oven to 500*

In a sturdy mixer:
2-3 cups of grains (depending on how grainy you want the bread)
~1 tbsp oil
pinch or two of salt
mix this up briefly then add the yeast/water/sugar mix.

begin adding bread flour cup by cup, it varies depending on humidity that day. Eventually it will cease to be as sticky. At this point flour the counter and dump the dough and kneed some additional flour in to reach 4-5 cups total.

Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel, and leave in a warm spot to rise 1 hour. punch dough down and let rise another hour. Cut into desired number of loaves or shapes and place on either a baking stone or a cookie sheet that has been liberally dusted with corn meal.

Once the oven has been pre-heated sufficiently (get an accurate thermometer!) put the bread in the 500* oven quickly to prevent heat drop. The lower the temp to 425 and bake ~50-60 minutes. A probe thermo can be used to check if it is done, should read ~210-215* internal.
do you use a stone in your oven? I have a thermopen so accurate temp readings are not a problem

Quick Reply