Installed a recirculation pump in my mastun setup and got way better efficiency? Why

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atonofhops

Reaction score
As stated I simply installed a recirculation pump and only recirculated my masy for several batches I got between 66 and 68% efficency but all of a sudden I get 81%. The grind is still the same setting the only change was my mash temp was 150 instead of 158 like I normaly do. Did the pump do the trick or was it my temp? Or both?

If all other elements of your process are identical then yes, you are sparging far more effectively then before the pump but to clarify, are you speaking of brewhouse efficiency or mash efficiency? They are quite different as far as what they are comprised of.

Mash temp won't really affect efficiency, more about attenuation of the yeast.

atonofhops said:
good question I think it is brewhouse its from the old beersmith program.

So basically that means that your entire process is operating more efficiently as that takes into account everything from mash to boil and all volumes in between and final.

To get a better handle on your reconciliation only look at your mash efficiency number and go from there but, basically if your sparging is now more efficient then the re circulation is causing it all other things being equal

I recirc in my mash tun and get 78% or better efficiency on the mash. I recirc for 15 minutes, drain to boil kettle, refill with sparge water and recirc that for up to 30 minutes and achieve great efficiency. I rarely hear of this method but love the way the beer tastes.

Back