Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I love no sparge brewing...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #321
MilwaukeeBrewGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Lord no. I do 1.080 all the time and have gone higher.
wow, that is good to know. I could have sworn i saw a post by Lonnie stating 1.050 was max. Thanks for lifting my spirits again with this setup!

Here is where I got that crazy idea: http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=103032

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #322
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Couple more questions. I have a 10 gallon Blichmann BK I would be using for the BIAB. Does anyone have any experience on whether up to 12-13 pounds of grain in a bag would work with 8 gallons of water in the BK?

Also, whats the best "bag" to use for a kettle that is about 13.5" in diameter?

Thanks again!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #323
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
I mash/recirculate the full volume the entire time. I thought that was what Sacch, bigjoe, and others were doing as well. Any insight on which is the better approach?
6 of one, half-dozen of the other, probably. I've done both and didn't notice a difference in the beer. By doing a traditional mash followed by a 30 min or so recirc to mashout temp I'm confident I'm getting complete conversion and equilibrium in gravity. I also don't have to fiddle with balancing flow rates for an extra hour.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #324
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeBrewGuy View Post
wow, that is good to know. I could have sworn i saw a post by Lonnie stating 1.050 was max. Thanks for lifting my spirits again with this setup!
Here's the max efficiency chart for a 5 gal Brutus 20 setup:
cb20eff2.jpg  

Old 01-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #325
MilwaukeeBrewGuy
Recipes 

i am happy with those numbers. Thanks jkarp.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #326
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale
What is the relationship between thin mash and pH? Anybody have any measurements? In other words, how far would pH drift with full-volume mashing compared to typical water/grain ratios in a "standard" mash, given the same recipe? Is there a fudge factor?
pH is a logarithmic scale so even at four times the mash volume there will be only a small change in pH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 01-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #327
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
6 of one, half-dozen of the other, probably. I've done both and didn't notice a difference in the beer. By doing a traditional mash followed by a 30 min or so recirc to mashout temp I'm confident I'm getting complete conversion and equilibrium in gravity. I also don't have to fiddle with balancing flow rates for an extra hour.
Thanks. That makes sense. Since I changed to RIMS with a sanke MLT, I've been relying on the RIMS to maintain temp. I'll have to see how well the sanke holds temp on its own and try your process.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #328
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
pH is a logarithmic scale so even at four times the mash volume there will be only a small change in pH.
Small as in insignficant? If so, my mind is at ease.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #329
bigjoe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I too mash with full volume and I think Sacc does also. jkarp I read your post again on your system. I thought you mention on the first page you used the full volume of water also. I'll have to re-read it.

Fundamentally I don't think there is much of difference either, but there are some.

pH was an assumption on my part. I didn't start adjusting my water until I was about 15 brews into no sprage. I figured using at least 2 - 2.5 the amount of water a traditonal mash was using it would be different. I don't know that for sure.

I was thinking about trying a mash at a traditional ratio, but I like the single vessel thing. I'd need at least a cooler, and I wouldn't be able to recirc, or heat the mash until I added the mashout water from BK. I suppose I could wait until the mash is almost over before adding the rest of my mash water to BK for mashout and recirc. I could recirc mash from cooler to BK if I needed to heat it.

I've liked my results for many brews until recently. I've had some efficiency problems I'm trying to troubleshoot. I'll see how it goes on the next brew with my new barley crusher. I'll be doing a tripel, so I probably not the best brew to start on but thats the next one in the pipe to be brewed.

I've only brewed a handful of big beers with no sprage and my efficiecny was between 60-65%.

Joe
Ghetto Single Vessel No Sparge brew rig
Other no sparge links on HBT

I love no sparge brewing...by Saccharomyces | Countertop Brutus 20...by Jkarp |Max BIAB Efficiency...by Bakins|Good discussion of mash thickness |Extract to all grain under $10

Old 01-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #330
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
I too mash with full volume and I think Sacc does also. jkarp I read your post again on your system. I thought you mention on the first page you used the full volume of water also. I'll have to re-read it.
Depends on what I'm brewing and if step (ramp really) mashing. If so, I'll recirculate during mash to make the temps, otherwise, I do a "normal" 1.5 - 2 qt/lb mash and heat the balance of the water in the kettle to 180 for mashout. Then I'll recirculate for 30 or so after conversion. I've also done a parti-gyle with absolutely no recirculation. The Brutus 20 is a darn flexible rig.

Quick Reply