Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I love making beer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
jmh286
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default I love making beer!

So I'm on vacation for a while and decided to brew a Hefeweizen for a buddy's wedding tonight. For sure indulged in some homebrew while brewing. Well I wasn't sure things were going to go well because I miscalculated my mash volume and ended up with too much water for my grain.... Anyway figured that crap out and ended up with a pre-boil SG of 1.052 . Was a little higher than I expected. No big deal. Anyway, I end up talking to my neighbor during the boil and find out that her husband is interested in homebrew and was about to start making wine. . So beer has found me friends... Anyways, after boil ended up with 1.063 so should be a pretty strong Hefe. Sounds good to me. /End drunken rant.

Mmmmmmm...Beer

jarnock Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Tipharet
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh286
So I'm on vacation for a while and decided to brew a Hefeweizen for a buddy's wedding tonight. For sure indulged in some homebrew while brewing. Well I wasn't sure things were going to go well because I miscalculated my mash volume and ended up with too much water for my grain.... Anyway figured that crap out and ended up with a pre-boil SG of 1.052 . Was a little higher than I expected. No big deal. Anyway, I end up talking to my neighbor during the boil and find out that her husband is interested in homebrew and was about to start making wine. . So beer has found me friends... Anyways, after boil ended up with 1.063 so should be a pretty strong Hefe. Sounds good to me. /End drunken rant.
Yeah this same damn thing had been happening to me. My last red rye ipa was suppose to be only 1.060 but I hit 1.085. Not sure what's going on or if this is even a bad thing.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
jmh286

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipharet View Post
Yeah this same damn thing had been happening to me. My last red rye ipa was suppose to be only 1.060 but I hit 1.085. Not sure what's going on or if this is even a bad thing.
As long as it doesn't finish super low, we are going to run into the same problem, a delicious beer with a higher than expected ABV. Nothing wrong with that IMO

Mmmmmmm...Beer

Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh286 View Post
If you're brewing it today, no way it'll be ready fo a wedding tonight

Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2266 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

Yeah,24 hours is a little short,wtf??

Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
sk888smooth
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipharet View Post
Did you all have your wort warmer than 70F? Doesn't that cause the gravity to be a bit high? I've measured at 75-78F and it always seems to read higher with the increase in temps.

Primary: English ESB
Secondary:
Kegged: Barleywine, Wookey Jack Clone
Next on Deck: Gumball Head Clone

Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
Ondori
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh286 View Post
lol This happened to me too when I did my hefe. It was supposed to be .050 and I ended up at .058. I am not complaining. I just hope it still tastes good. I tasted a hydro sample after a week and characteristics were there, but still really sweet. See when I take my next sample.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:01 AM   #8
jmh286

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk888smooth View Post
Did you all have your wort warmer than 70F? Doesn't that cause the gravity to be a bit high? I've measured at 75-78F and it always seems to read higher with the increase in temps.
There is a table for temperature correction. Temp increases will actually cause your gravity to read lower than what it actually is.

Mmmmmmm...Beer

Quick Reply