I feel more like a real brewer now!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragutis

Reaction score
On Tuesday I brewed my first all grain beer. I bought two all grain kits from Midwest Brewing Supplies-10 gallons of fat tire clone. Here is the ingredient breakdown:
18 lb. Domestic two row
1 lb. Special B.
1 lb. Caramel 120º L
1 lb. Munich 10º L
2 oz. Northern Brewer Hops for bittering for 60 min (AA-7.0%)
2 oz. Czech Saaz for aroma for 2 min (AA-2.8%)
I used the dry Nottingham yeast that came with the kit, re-hydrating it 20 minutes before pitching.
Mash was for 70 minutes at 150-153º then I fly sparged and after 90 minutes I got the recommended 12 gallons.

I mashed in my homemade mash tun made out of a 10 gallon cooler with a stainless steel braid. I used two 5-gallon coolers for hot liquor tanks.
My problem came when the borrowed propane burner didn't fit my keggle, so I had to use mine that doesn't boil too quickly. I added the wort as it came out of the tun to help speed up the boil.
After a 70 minute boil, I had not lost the two gallons that I expected.
After I put the wort into my fermenters I still had a couple of gallons left over so I put into another fermenter and rigged the blow-off from one to go into the other. I did not have any more yeast to just start the extra wort.
The full one started an extremely active fermentation and so to give it some more headroom I racked about 1 1/2 gallon into the extra wort in the second bottle. Fermentation started almost immediately in the extra wort and is continuing still.
The other fermenter is a 6 1/2 gallon bucket, and it broke my airlock and blew the lid off.
It tasted good when I took the hydrometer reading before pitching so I have high hopes.

A new burner is high on the priority list. My stand is great but my burner sucks.

Anyway, I'm glad to join the ranks of the all grain brewers.
:mug:

That was a creative way to get the extra wort fermenting! You might think about saving/freezing any extra next time, so you can you can use it for a starter for the next batch. Just an idea........

I just recently did my first all-grain batch and it felt great! Congrats on the AG.

Congrats and WELCOME to the world of AG! (From a newbe himself)

I jumped right into AG after a couple extract recipes myself.

Two pieces of unsolicited advice (so do with it what you will)

The "Brewer's Companion" ($12.00 on amazon) was a very good and informative read. It was recommended by another member here.

I would recommend making heat stick style submersion heaters if you have the electrical service available. They have greatly reduced my brew time and are much safer for indoor brewing. There are several tutorials on them @ youtube (possibly even on this forum).

RDWHAHB

Back